Re: [ADSI-DirSrv] Urgent! Old password still good after changing

  • ibirdy2
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2005
      Thanks, I appreciate your help.

      BTW, I did a little more testing yesterday and overnight. I found
      that the old password still works for at least three hours. But by
      the following morning the old password was no longer valid. This was
      the case with four instances of the app on two different domains.

      Also, while the old password is still working in the main app, I can
      bring up a little test GUI and find that the old password is not
      valid there.

      So it seems like something is being cached somewhere, and that
      somewhere is associated with the application rather than the PC or
      the server...

      Adding explicit .Dispose() and .Close() and even forcing garbage
      collection have no effect.

      Tim

      --- In ADSIANDDirectoryServices@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Kaplan"
      <joe@j...> wrote:

      > No, but I'm still curious. I'll see what I can find out.
      >
      > Joe K.

      DirectoryServices)
      > > the
      > > what

      > > constantly

      SERVERLESS_PATH,
      namimgContextStr,

      > > entry.
      > > as

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Ryan Dunn
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 1, 2005
        Do you have a sample project you could send to reproduce this effect?

        --
        Ryan Dunn
        MVP - ASP.NET
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 1, 2005
          The client owns the code, but maybe I can do something similar that
          would reproduce what I'm seeing...

          I'm not sure if I can find the time.

          --- In ADSIANDDirectoryServices@yahoogroups.com, Ryan Dunn
          <dunnry@g...> wrote:

          > Do you have a sample project you could send to reproduce this
          effect?

          > On 12/1/05, ibirdy2 <ordinarylizard@y...> wrote:
          > > Thanks, I appreciate your help.
          > >
          > > BTW, I did a little more testing yesterday and overnight. I found
          > > that the old password still works for at least three hours. But
          by
          > > the following morning the old password was no longer valid. This
          was
          > > the case with four instances of the app on two different domains.
          > >
          > > Also, while the old password is still working in the main app, I
          can
          > > bring up a little test GUI and find that the old password is not
          > > valid there.
          > >
          > > So it seems like something is being cached somewhere, and that
          > > somewhere is associated with the application rather than the PC
          or
          > > the server...
          > >
          > > Adding explicit .Dispose() and .Close() and even forcing garbage
          > > collection have no effect.
          > >
          > > Tim
          > >
          > > --- In ADSIANDDirectoryServices@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Kaplan"
          > > <joe@j...> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > No, but I'm still curious. I'll see what I can find out.
          > > >
          > > > Joe K.

        • ibirdy2
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 2, 2005
            Another clue: In all 5 instances of the test that I ran last night
            the old password stopped working just after midnight. They had all
            started in the early afternoon, so I need to do more varied testing.
            I'll try a test where I change the pwd close to midnight and then
            check right efter. But so far it looks like there is something magic
            about midnight. Does this give anyone any ideas?

            Thanks,
            Tim

            --- In ADSIANDDirectoryServices@yahoogroups.com, "ibirdy2"
            <ordinarylizard@y...> wrote:

            > The client owns the code, but maybe I can do something similar
            that
            > would reproduce what I'm seeing...
            >
            > I'm not sure if I can find the time.
            >
            > --- In ADSIANDDirectoryServices@yahoogroups.com, Ryan Dunn
            > <dunnry@g...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Do you have a sample project you could send to reproduce this
            > effect?
            > >
            > > On 12/1/05, ibirdy2 <ordinarylizard@y...> wrote:
            > > > Thanks, I appreciate your help.
            > > >
            > > > BTW, I did a little more testing yesterday and overnight. I
            found
            > > > that the old password still works for at least three hours.
            But
            > by
            > > > the following morning the old password was no longer valid.
            This
            > was
            > > > the case with four instances of the app on two different
            domains.

            > > > Also, while the old password is still working in the main app,
            > can
            > > > bring up a little test GUI and find that the old password is
            not
            > > > valid there.
            > > >
            > > > So it seems like something is being cached somewhere, and that
            > > > somewhere is associated with the application rather than the
            PC
            > or
            > > > the server...
            > > >
            > > > Adding explicit .Dispose() and .Close() and even forcing
            garbage
            > > > collection have no effect.
            > > >
            > > > Tim
            > > >
            > > > --- In ADSIANDDirectoryServices@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Kaplan"

          • rajni sachan
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 2, 2005
              Hi
              Some times when we are working with different domains there can be some lag visible because of loose consistency . Mostly the domain controller where the change has been made notify other domains in some predefined frequency one by one.
              Its highly possible that till the time the changed data is not replicated to all the domains you might see this kind of issue.

              Rajni

              <joe@j...> wrote:

              > No, but I'm still curious. I'll see what I can find out.
              >
              > Joe K.

              ---------------------------------

            • ibirdy2
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 2, 2005
                Thanks,
                I am trying my app on two different domains, but not concurrently.
                That is, the old old password still works on the domain that it was
                changed on. And the two domains are not related or connected. I'm
                just trying it on two different ones to help eliminate any oddities
                due to the way one domian may be configured.

                Tim

                --- In ADSIANDDirectoryServices@yahoogroups.com, rajni sachan
                <rajnisachan@y...> wrote:

                > Hi
                > Some times when we are working with different domains there can
                be some lag visible because of loose consistency . Mostly the domain
                controller where the change has been made notify other domains in
                some predefined frequency one by one.
                > Its highly possible that till the time the changed data is not
                replicated to all the domains you might see this kind of issue.

                > Rajni
                >
                > ibirdy2 <ordinarylizard@y...> wrote:
                > Thanks, I appreciate your help.
                >
                > BTW, I did a little more testing yesterday and overnight. I found
                > that the old password still works for at least three hours. But by
                > the following morning the old password was no longer valid. This
                was
                > the case with four instances of the app on two different domains.
                >
                > Also, while the old password is still working in the main app, I
                can
                > bring up a little test GUI and find that the old password is not
                > valid there.
                >
                > So it seems like something is being cached somewhere, and that
                > somewhere is associated with the application rather than the PC or
                > the server...
                >
                > Adding explicit .Dispose() and .Close() and even forcing garbage
                > collection have no effect.
                >
                > Tim
                >
                > --- In ADSIANDDirectoryServices@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Kaplan"
                > <joe@j...> wrote:
                > >
                > > No, but I'm still curious. I'll see what I can find out.
                > >
                > > Joe K.

                Service.

                > ---------------------------------

              • ibirdy2
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 2, 2005
                  I now think that the "midnight" thing was just a coincidence.
                  Further testing has shown that the old password remains valid for at
                  least 8 hours and 48 minutes, and is no longer valid after 10 hours
                  42 minutes, even if the time span does not cross midnight. I'll do
                  more tesing tonight and this weekend to narrow it down and see if
                  the time spans are consistent.

                  <ordinarylizard@y...> wrote:

                  > Another clue: In all 5 instances of the test that I ran last night
                  > the old password stopped working just after midnight. They had all
                  > started in the early afternoon, so I need to do more varied
                  testing.
                  > I'll try a test where I change the pwd close to midnight and then
                  > check right efter. But so far it looks like there is something
                  magic
                  > about midnight. Does this give anyone any ideas?
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Tim
                  >
                  > --- In ADSIANDDirectoryServices@yahoogroups.com, "ibirdy2"
                  > <ordinarylizard@y...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > The client owns the code, but maybe I can do something similar
                  > that
                  > > would reproduce what I'm seeing...
                  > >
                  > > I'm not sure if I can find the time.
                  > >
                  > > --- In ADSIANDDirectoryServices@yahoogroups.com, Ryan Dunn
                  > > <dunnry@g...> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Do you have a sample project you could send to reproduce this
                  > > effect?

                  > found
                  > But
                  > > by
                  > This
                  > > was
                  > domains.

                  > > can
                  > not

                  > PC
                  > > or

                  > garbage

                • Joe Kaplan
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 2, 2005
                    8 hours is the default lifespan of a Kerberos ticket. I wonder if that has
                    anything to do with it.

                    Joe K.

                    > I am trying my app on two different domains, but not concurrently.
                    > That is, the old old password still works on the domain that it was
                    > changed on. And the two domains are not related or connected. I'm
                    > just trying it on two different ones to help eliminate any oddities
                    > due to the way one domian may be configured.
                    >
                    > Tim
                    >

                    > --- In ADSIANDDirectoryServices@yahoogroups.com, rajni sachan
                    > <rajnisachan@y...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> Hi
                    >> Some times when we are working with different domains there can
                    > be some lag visible because of loose consistency . Mostly the domain
                    > controller where the change has been made notify other domains in
                    > some predefined frequency one by one.
                    >> Its highly possible that till the time the changed data is not
                    > replicated to all the domains you might see this kind of issue.
                    >>
                    >> Rajni
                    >>
                    >> ibirdy2 <ordinarylizard@y...> wrote:
                    >> Thanks, I appreciate your help.
                    >>
                    >> BTW, I did a little more testing yesterday and overnight. I found
                    >> that the old password still works for at least three hours. But by
                    >> the following morning the old password was no longer valid. This
                    > was
                    >> the case with four instances of the app on two different domains.
                    >>
                    >> Also, while the old password is still working in the main app, I
                    > can
                    >> bring up a little test GUI and find that the old password is not
                    >> valid there.
                    >>
                    >> So it seems like something is being cached somewhere, and that
                    >> somewhere is associated with the application rather than the PC or
                    >> the server...
                    >>
                    >> Adding explicit .Dispose() and .Close() and even forcing garbage
                    >> collection have no effect.
                    >>
                    >> Tim
                    >>
                    >> --- In ADSIANDDirectoryServices@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Kaplan"
                    >> <joe@j...> wrote:
                    >> >
                    >> > No, but I'm still curious. I'll see what I can find out.
                    >> >
                    >> > Joe K.

                  • ibirdy2
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 5, 2005
                      Thanks, that's a good thought. Testing this weekend showed that 10
                      hours is the magic number. This was true of 5 instances of the app
                      all started at the same time and on the same domain. So I need to
                      run similar tests on more than one domain and start them at
                      different times to see if they all expire at the same time or each
                      10 hours after the pwd change.

                      Does anybody have any idea what might have a timeout of 10 hours?
                      The test app I'm using does nothing other than allow password
                      changes and try authentiucations, i.e. there is no other logic that
                      might affect this, and certainly no 10 hour timers...