RE: [ADSI-DirSrv] How to verify a user's account in AD of a domain, a local computer?

  • Carlos Magalhaes
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2004
      Hi there,

      It seems like you have everything well planned out, I am not sure what you
      need help with (its Monday :P) I could be just blind. Could you re phrase
      the question?

      Would really like to help.

      Let us know
      Carlos Magalhaes

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2004
        Hi Carlos,

        Thank you so much for your response. I am very sorry if my question
        confused you. Let me try again.

        I used LDAP and WinNT to collect information of users from a AD in a
        domain, local computers and Novell server, and saved the information
        in my database. The reason of doing this is to allow those users to
        logon and use my software if they are in my database.

        After the information of users is saved to my database, if user's
        account is removed or disabled from the AD (or local computer or
        Novell server, depends where he or she is from), then he or she
        should not be allowed to use my software either. This is the reason
        I want to verify their account in the AD (or local computer or
        Novell server) first when they want to logon and use my software.

        So what I really want to do is, when users want to logon to use my
        software, I want to verify his or her account in the AD (or local
        computer or Novell server) first. I will retrieve user's login name
        and full path from the database and ask users to type their password
        of their account in AD ( or local computer or Novell server) and
        click the Verify button, then my program should use those
        information to connect to the user's account and find out if user's
        account exists and still active.

        Hope this will help. Please let me know if you have any questions.
        Thanks.

        Gaoming Fu

        --- In ADSIANDDirectoryServices@yahoogroups.com, "Carlos Magalhaes"

      • Carlos Magalhaes
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2004
          Hmmm interesting setup, well there is many different methods of "verifying"
          a user.

          If you consider a bind to the user object and reading properties a
          successful verification then just, store the users DN in your SQL database,
          and have a function that takes a DN, binds to that DN and tries to read
          certain properties, in your case account lock out etc, but be careful how
          the application that is doing this is run i.e. what security context this is
          run.

          But there are different ways built into .net that you can use to verify a
          users existence that do not use the System.directoryservices namespace.

          Check WindowsPrincipal namespace -
          http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpref/html/frlrfsystemsecurityprinci
          palwindowsprincipalclasstopic.asp

          WATCH FOR URL WRAP.

          Does this answer your question, if not let me know which part is not
          answered.

          Carlos Magalhaes

          <carlosm@m...> wrote:
          > Hi there,
          >
          > It seems like you have everything well planned out, I am not sure
          what you
          > need help with (its Monday :P) I could be just blind. Could you re
          phrase
          > the question?
          >
          > Would really like to help.
          >
          > Let us know