Re: [AAArch] June 2008 African Diaspora Archaeology Newsletter

  • DLJConsulting@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1 4:25 AM
      Chris,

      I am relatively new to your newsgroup, but about a month or two ago, I posted an announcement for the upcoming African Diaspora Heritage Trail Conference in Bermuda, see www.adht.net for more information.  I had hoped it would make it into your June newsletter.  Please let me know if it is too late.  It's a wonderful conference!

      Denise

      --
      Denise L. Johnson
      Principal

      From: "Christopher Fennell" <cfennell@...>

      Greetings!

      The June 2008 Newsletter is now available online at:
      http://www.diaspora .uiuc.edu/ newsletter. html

      In June's newsletter, we feature: articles and essays by Akin
      Ogundiran, Anne Yentsch, Terrance Weik, Uzi Baram, Jerome S. Handler,
      Nicholas Honerkamp, Rachel L. DeVan, Mary C. Beaudry, Alaba Simpson,
      and Akeia A.F. Benard; a compiled list of graduate programs in
      African diaspora archaeology; news reports and announcements; and
      book reviews by Fred L. McGhee, Christopher Espenshade, Zacharys
      Anger Gundu, and Susan Cooksey. A table of contents is set out below.

      Please contact me if you have essays, analysis papers, book reviews,
      project reports, announcements, or news updates that you'd like to
      contribute to the African Diaspora Archaeology Network and
      Newsletter. This Newsletter is published quarterly, in March, June,
      September, and D ecember. We serve an expanding readership of over
      5,000 per Newsletter issue.

      Cheers,
      Chris

      *******

      June 2008 Newsletter

      ** Articles, Essays, and Reports **

      African Atlantic Archaeology and Africana Studies: A Programmatic
      Agenda, by Akin Ogundiran

      Excavating the South's African American Food History, by Anne Yentsch

      Mexico's 'Cimarron' Heritage and Archaeological Record, by Terrance
      Weik

      A Haven from Slavery on Florida's Gulf Coast: Looking for Evidence of
      Angola on the Manatee River, by Uzi Baram

      Aspects of the Atlantic Slave Trade: Smoking Pipes, Tobacco, and the
      Middle Passage, by Jerome S. Handler

      Pieces of Chocolate: Surveying Slave and Planter Life at Chocolate
      Plantation, Sapelo Island, Georgia, by Nicholas Honerkamp and Rachel
      L. DeVan

      Not Presentism but Honesty: Symposium and Lecture Series at Boston
      University Commemorates the 200th Anniversary of the Endi ng of the US-
      Atlantic Slave Trade, by Mary C. Beaudry

      Some Reflections on Relics of the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade in the
      Historic Town of Badagry, Nigeria, by Alaba Simpson

      Dissertation Abstract: The Free African American Cultural Landscape:
      Newport, RI, 1774-1826, by Akeia A.F. Benard

      ** News and Announcements **

      Graduate Programs in African Diaspora Archaeology, by Christopher
      Fennell

      Society for Georgia Archaeology Publishes Two-Part Volume on African-
      American Archaeology, by J. W. Joseph

      States Lead Slavery Apology Movement, by Christine Vestal

      New Books: Africa, Brazil and the Construction of Trans Atlantic
      Black Identities; Themes in West Africa's History

      ** Conferences and Calls for Papers **

      Black Diaspora and Germany Across the Centuries

      Society for Historical Archaeology 2009 Conference

      ** Book Reviews **

      Review of "The Slave Ship: A Human History," by Fred L. McGh ee

      Review of "Sampling Many Pots," by Christopher Espenshade

      Review of "Archaeology and Culture History in the Central Niger
      Delta," by Zacharys Anger Gundu

      Review of "For Hearth and Altar: African Ceramics," by Susan Cooksey

    • Christopher Fennell
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2 3:38 PM
        Please contact me directly if you wish to submit something for our
        quarterly newsletter. The email discussion group is a separate means
        of communication and dissemination.
        Cheers,
        Chris

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2 3:49 PM