Re: [AAArch] Re: Califia � Ancient African Queen of Baja and Namesake of California?

  • Jean Libby
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 31, 2007
      Dear Paul -- I wish that I were not retired and still taking students to see Queen Califia.  There's more in San Francisco.  Outside the Walgreen's pharmacy on Montgomery St. (the West Coast Wall St.) there are some bas-relief images of the African origins of medicine.

      I will try to get some photos to share with you because I am taking my visiting grandchildren to San Francisco and they are high school and college ages.

      Please find John Templeton.  He is a true public scholar.  He was interviewed in the San Francisco Chronicle recently with his frustration that when public agencies want to place a notice on a building about historical significance, it is not the building that is historic, more often it is the people who were there.  In the case of African Americans, this will often be areas that are completely razed and something else there, no trace of the building.

      Interesting archaeology concepts for all of us.

      Jean Libby
      Independent Scholar

      paulmarcw <best@...> wrote:
      Dear Jean. Thank you for all of the useful information concerning
      John Templeton and more of the background to Califia. Tourist
      agencies thrive showing points of historical interest and there is
      not a little of that in all historical monuments worldwide. So, why
      not show, especially our youth, monuments important to our history
      such as what you are doing with your Califia explorations. There
      should be much more of that. It should be a tradition and way of
      life.

      You mentioned the Califia / Cortez mural at the Fairmont Hotel on
      Nob Hill. I just did a key word search and did not uncover anything.
      Would you happen to have any pictures of the mural you could share
      with me?

      Concerning the origination of the name Califia. There is much
      written about the Muslim king of Mali, Abu Bakari, whose enormous-
      sized fleet of 1000 to 2000 ships travelled from Africa to the
      Americas. And the novel speaks of Califia being a title Arab in
      origination and introduced in its association to the crusades ...
      and Califia being the title by which a king is called.

      However, Mali being in Africa, and Arabs being African in the Mali
      context, would it not seem that more than being an Arab title that
      Califia is an African title?

      And as Africans had for millenniums successfully made the
      transatlantic journey as witnessed by the countless pyramids in
      Mesoamerica and the Caribbean, etc.,

      e.g.
      http://www.beforebc .de/all_america/ 900_america/ 02-16-900- 00-03.html

      does it not seem tenable that the title Califia was carried not,
      particularly, by the Arabs and made it way to the novel and from
      there to the naming of the state; but by Africans who made their way
      to Baja?

      If so, the puzzle as to the origination of the title may have
      solution.

      Could you share your thoughts on this matter, if you would?

      Kind regards and continued success with your conquest to instill
      pride in Afro-American youth with your Califia tours and your other
      pursuits.

      Paul Marc W.

      --- In AAArch@yahoogroups. com, Jean Libby <jalibby@... > wrote:

      > Hello AAArch group,
      >
      > I have appreciated the Queen Califia history when teaching
      African, African American, and California history classes at
      community colleges before retiring in 2005.

      > The historian who researched this is John Templeton. He is
      patiently working with various historical groups in San Francisco to
      have sites of African American and African significance recognized
      with plaques, etc.

      > A regular stop on my student field trips included the "room of
      the dons" at the Fairmont Hotel on Nob Hill with a mural depicting
      the story of an island of strong and beautiful black women ruled by
      the strongest and most beautiful of all, Queen Califia. The early
      Spanish explorers are shown negotiating and trading with them. The
      griffins are on the mural, too. They are half-lion, half dog, and
      their job was to kill and eat men, who were useless for anything in
      the society except procreation. They were dispatched after
      fulfilling their duty.

      > This is indeed a legend, which was written and printed by
      Italians in the 16th century. It was widely enjoyed and believed
      because not too much was printed in those days. Queen Califia and
      her strong women subjects controlled large quantities of gold, which
      the early Spanish explorers were seeking. They never found the
      gold, but they named the large peninsula that they thought was an
      island California, which later became Baja California.

      > In 1848 a German in California found real gold on the American
      River near Sacramento. At that very moment the Americans and the
      Mexican governments were negotiating the Treaty of Guadalupe-
      Hidalgo, which ceded upper California to the United States. As the
      legend goes, the U.S. government did not know that the largest gold
      deposit in the world had been discovered that very month. The
      people who developed that gold mining (excluding Mexicans from the
      development, enslaving the Indians to mine it, taxing the Chinese to
      work the less-good mines with a "foreign miners tax" that
      contributed 25% of the state's annual income, and completing
      despoiling the environment with poisonous mercury techiques), are
      the same people who built the Fairmont Hotel and painted the mural
      to make their history more palatable.

      > Personally, I would rather believe the legend of Queen Califia
      and the strong and beautiful black women over the Robber Barons who
      got very rich, and killed many people with their greed, including
      into the present generations. Tell me they aren't real or true.

      > Jean Libby
      > independent scholar
      > retired instructor at community colleges in northern California
      >

      > Elizabeth Obisanya <elisafuk@.. .> wrote:
      > Hi Paul,
      >
      > Thanks for this, I have found my angle on my docufililm on
      Sophia Stewart the mother of the Matrix( whose work was allegedly
      infringed on by the Wachowski brothers and Warner Brothers!)

      > It is sad that most people only want to believe that blacks sat
      in AFrica and did not do any travelling around, that is why the
      slave trade was/is a mystery(those that hold the view that God
      needed to transport black people from Africa to the islands and far
      beyond - NEWS - Black people were already travelling to and fro
      before the slave trade!!!...)

      http://www.beforebc .de/Related. Subjects/ Queen.Califia. and.California/
      > 02-16-900-09. html
      >
      > Please use the email at the web-page bottom with your suggestions
      or
      > advice as your comments are important and it's easier save them
      that
      > way. Thank you.
      >
      > HOME PAGE:
      > http://www.beforebc .de/AboutAuthorA ndAfricanGoldenA ge.html
      >

      > www.BeforeBC. de
      >
      > Paul Marc Washington
      >

      > www.swordofthespiri t.tv
      > Justified Heathen.(Galatians 3v 8 & 9,) Redeemed by the Lord(
      Galatians 3v13)
      > Race Relations has come of Age - Ban section 19C Race Relations
      (Amendement) Act 2000

      > 2007 - 200th Anniversary of the Abolition of the Slave Trade
      > Roll of honour(British Abolitionists) :William Wilberforce, Thomas
      Clarkson.Olaudah Equiano,

    • Elizabeth Obisanya
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 1, 2007
        Dear Paul,
        Thanks.
        Regarding proper Africans being Arabic in name it is very much a possibility as you all know that the Arabs ( islam) conquered much of the world in various ways.
        Speaking personally my forefathers( Ashokeji) were taken by Arabs during the Yoruba tribal wars and were taken to Arabia etc to be possibly soldiers? for the Moulays armies etc,( as accounted in White Gold and such like..) my father was telling me. My fathers mother changing her name as they relocated to another area of Nigeria. Yes Black Arabs is very much a Truthful fact and Califia - a negress rather than Arab is very much a possibility.In the same way that Black blacks without being slaves were active members of Jesus 's entourage. Simeon the Niger a prominent name given by the Apostles (Acts 13v1) who was black rather than arab etc and was active in Christian works. I wonder if the Simi Valley was named after him ( Simeon the Niger). Simi is very much a black African name in Nigeria. Further salutations in the Yoruba language indicate the Black Africa was very much active in the things of the Christianity: We have e ku ojo meta, which is derived from the 2 day resurrection period of the Lord..i.e on the third day He rose again. In Yoruba it literally means, you died for 3 days or more colloquailly haven't seen you in 3 days ( in a while)

        Elizabeth

      • Andrew Agha
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 1, 2007

          Khalifah would be a successor to Muhammad, and is an Islamic religious leader by Islamic definition.  Islam came to West Africa, bringing Arabic words and names (that’s why we see Muslim names or derivative of them in our eighteenth century planter inventories of slaves in South Carolina ) to West Africa .  Plus the Arabic pronunciation of the word Khalifah requires the “kh”, as the syllable in Arabic is different than the “k” or “ca” sound.  So, when looking at the English spelling of “ Calif ” or “Califia” be careful, especially when linking that spelling to the spelling of California .  Africa might be the source of a lot of things, but it wasn’t the source of Islam or it’s terminology/words/literature.  Unless someone can prove that Muhammad was an African…

> [...]

          slave trade was/is a mystery(those that hold the view that God
          needed to transport black people from Africa to the islands and far
          beyond - NEWS - Black people were already travelling to and fro
          before the slave trade!!!...)

          > Nice one mate!
          >
          > Elizabeth
          >

          > paulmarcw <best@...> wrote:
          > Califia � Ancient African Queen of Baja and Namesake of
          California ?

          > Was Harvard Prof. Josiah Royce, correct in saying
          w:st="on">California was
          > named in the 15th century (see document below web page)? Is it the
          > namesake of Califia, an African Queen in gold-laden Baja as a 15th
          > century Spanish novel of the day proclaims? We can never know for
          > certain if she was myth or real. But, do we have enough evidence
          > determine if an African woman could have been queen in 15th
          w:st="on">California ? With the abundant archeological evidence
          relevant
          > to the issue, probably so. Did you know that a mural (on web page)
          > of her is found at Disney's California Adventure. Or that a mural
          of
          > her adorns the wall of the Senate Budget Committee Hearing Room in
          > the California State Capitol in Sacramento ?
          History is full of
          > secrets.

          http://www.beforebc .de/Related. Subjects/ Queen.Califia. and.California/
          > 02-16-900-09. html
          >
          > Please use the email at the web-page bottom with your suggestions
          or
          > advice as your comments are important and it's easier save them
          that
          > way. Thank you.
          >
          > HOME PAGE:
          > http://www.beforebc .de/AboutAuthorA ndAfricanGoldenA ge.html
          >

          > www.BeforeBC. de
          >
          > Paul Marc Washington
          >

          > www.swordofthespiri t.tv
          > Justified Heathen.(Galatians 3v 8 & 9,) Redeemed by the Lord(
          Galatians 3v13)
          > Race Relations has come of Age - Ban section 19C Race Relations
          (Amendement) Act 2000

          > 2007 - 200th Anniversary of the Abolition of the Slave Trade
          > Roll of honour(British Abolitionists) :William Wilberforce, Thomas
          Clarkson.Olaudah Equiano,

        • paulmarcw
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 2, 2007
            Hello Jean. You said you wished you were still taking students to
            see Califia. I'm a student (not too far from retirement myself but
            always trying to learn – so a student). And, eventually I'll see the
            picture of her you referred to. You've just changed your medium to
            the internet. Lucky grandchildren you have that they will get a very
            special tour made just for them.

            I tried locating John Templeton, as you suggested. I spent some time
            browsing on the internet and while not finding him, my goodness, did
            I find other interesting things.

            I very much appreciate your putting it on your schedule to find that
            Califia picture for me.

            A double thanks,

            Paul Marc Washington

> [...]
            > > 02-16-900-09.html
            > >
            > > Please use the email at the web-page bottom with your
            suggestions
            > or
            > > advice as your comments are important and it's easier save them
            > that
            > > way. Thank you.
            > >
            > > HOME PAGE:
            > > http://www.beforebc.de/AboutAuthorAndAfricanGoldenAge.html
            > >

            > > www.BeforeBC.de
            > >
            > > Paul Marc Washington
            > >

            > > www.swordofthespirit.tv
            > > Justified Heathen.(Galatians 3v 8 & 9,) Redeemed by the Lord(
            > Galatians 3v13)
            > > Race Relations has come of Age - Ban section 19C Race Relations
            > (Amendement) Act 2000
            > >
            > > 2007 - 200th Anniversary of the Abolition of the Slave Trade
            > > Roll of honour(British Abolitionists):William Wilberforce,

          • paulmarcw
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 2, 2007
              Dear Elizabeth. What a mesmerizing history captured in your
              ancestry. It reads like a great adventure though tragic, too, as
              your great (…) grandfather was wrested from his beloved family; he
              deprived of them and they of he. I am agnostic concerning Califia;
              however, I hope that should she be the Black negress rather than
              Arab? However, is it an Arab title taken from some African language?
              If so, couldn't the title `Califia' have been some ancient African
              designation before being utilized in the Arab era. If so, it seems
              the possibility (possibility) is two conceivable means of it making
              its way to Baja. The first carried in the Moslem era and the second
              (long) before the Muslim era. Two things I have my sensors up for:
              1) the emergence of the word "Califia" in some Northwest African
              tribe or historical document as a the title of a king in his role of
              religious leader; 2) a 16th century figurine or document of Califia
              now in some private Spanish collection made public.

              You speak of tantalizing options in history. And about Nigerians.
              They seem to have been everywhere. In the Califia web page
              http://www.beforebc.de/Related.Subjects/Queen.Califia.and.California/
              02-16-900-09.html the man on the left, third from the top is a
              Nunivak Indian from Nunivak Island in Southwest Alaska in a 1927
              picture. The headdress he is wearing is nearly identical to one I
              have a picture of worn by a Nigerian who is either a hunter or
              shaman. And even more mind-numbing is that whereas in Nigeria there
              is the Edo tribe with its very special masks, place names and so on,
              Edo in Japan was once the original name of Tokyo and also the name
              of the Island dwelt on by Japans indigenous Ainu. As you know, there
              are countless Japanese geographic and personal names that even have
              the same spelling and USAGE as Nigerian and other African. This page
              here http://www.beforebc.de/600_fareast/03-16-600-00-08.html
              explores the African roots of the Ainu; and also has a link to a
              page done by a Nigerian scholar in London doing a comparative name
              analysis between Japanese and Nigerian. Actually, it was not even
              until the time of Ghenghis Khan during the European middle ages that
              today's population of Japan departed from Korea and entered Japan.

              I have been planning to make a web page showing comparative masks
              between those used in Japanese Kuboke Theatre and Nigerian masks.
              They are close but in any case, if you look at the Japanese masks,
              you'd swear they were African. I have the material to do the page
              but not the time.

              Alleles, as you know, are genetic materials appearing at the same
              location on the genes of a given group of people under discussion.
              And the alleles of ancient Northern Europeans (the Califia page
              shows they were African) is the same as those of some Nigerians with
              geneticists stating that the common ancestors split over 50,000
              years ago. I've read this in at least two journals. So, Nigerians
              have really been around.

              Elizabeth. Kind thanks for sharing your intriguing family history
              and the African historical figures who played such prominent roles
              in shaping the history though the impact is felt still today – just
              that people don't know it was an African footprint.

              All the best,

              Paul Marc W.

              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 2, 2007
                Hello Alexander. You've noted that the pronunciation of the "kh" in
                Arabic as found in the title Khalifah is different from the "k"
                sound found in the pronunciation of Califia and California. A point
                well-taken. Thanks for pointing it out. This was done in a friendly
                atmosphere. In academic circles with traditional scholars, that same
                gentle information would have been given with a scorching flame-
                thrower combined with the toss of a gernade. So, thanks for the
                heads-up.

                It is useful though, I think, to keep an accounting of who was where
                when. My web page linked below shows that while we associate the
                Middle East with today's population that they only began arriving
                near 2000 BC in trickles and didn't flood in until perhaps the time
                of the European Dark Ages and after. Prior to them, there was an
                African population in Ur, Akkad, Khorsabad, Mari, Assur, Babylon,
                and other famous places noted for jump-starting civilization:

                http://www.beforebc.de/500_mesopotamia/02-16-500-01.html

                Also, I have a web page pairing early Semitic sculptures of Sargon
                I, Tilgalth-Pilesar, and Ur Namu (they look as African as Michael
                Jordan or Eddie Murphy) WITH cuneiform tablets of their reign. It
                was Ur Nammu, even before Hammurabi (African, too) who wrote
                histories first commandments later versions and Western law is
                patterened on (I have a web page on that too, actually). The early
                Semites were African and they were the first Semitic speakers.

                My point is not that this proves that Califia, per se, is African
                derived – not at all. That's not my point. My point is that those
                people we call Arab are newcomers and inherited a language from
                African forebears and in this sense, while the word khalifah came to
                us via Arabs that their language came to them via Africans; theirs
                is an African tongue.

                I am just trying to claim some rightful history while FULLY
                acknowledging that the Arabic "kh" and California "k" aren't
                pronounced the same (as you note) and that we have to be careful
                making an association between the two.

                Thank you.

                Marc W.

                :

                > Khalifah would be a successor to Muhammad, and is an Islamic
                religious leader by Islamic definition. Islam came to West Africa,
                bringing Arabic words and names (that's why we see Muslim names or
                derivative of them in our eighteenth century planter inventories of
                slaves in South Carolina) to West Africa. Plus the Arabic
                pronunciation of the word Khalifah requires the "kh", as the
                syllable in Arabic is different than the "k" or "ca" sound. So,
                when looking at the English spelling of "Calif" or "Califia" be
                careful, especially when linking that spelling to the spelling of
                California. Africa might be the source of a lot of things, but it
                wasn't the source of Islam or it's terminology/words/literature.
                Unless someone can prove that Muhammad was an African...

                > ________________________________

                Behalf Of paulmarcw

                03.html <http://www.beforebc.de/all_america/900_america/02-16-900-00-

                Jean Libby <jalibby@> wrote:

> [...]
                > > namesake of Califia, an African Queen in gold-laden Baja as a
                15th
                > > century Spanish novel of the day proclaims? We can never know
                for
                > > certain if she was myth or real. But, do we have enough evidence
                > > determine if an African woman could have been queen in 15th
                > century
                > > Baja, California? With the abundant archeological evidence
                > relevant
                > > to the issue, probably so. Did you know that a mural (on web
                page)
                > > of her is found at Disney's California Adventure. Or that a
                mural
                > of
                > > her adorns the wall of the Senate Budget Committee Hearing Room
                in
                > > the California State Capitol in Sacramento? History is full of

                />
                > > 02-16-900-09.html
                > >
                > > Please use the email at the web-page bottom with your
                suggestions
                > or
                > > advice as your comments are important and it's easier save them
                > that
                > > way. Thank you.
                > >
                > > HOME PAGE:
                > > http://www.beforebc.de/AboutAuthorAndAfricanGoldenAge.html
                <http://www.beforebc.de/AboutAuthorAndAfricanGoldenAge.html>

                > > www.BeforeBC.de
                > >
                > > Paul Marc Washington
                > >

                > > www.swordofthespirit.tv
                > > Justified Heathen.(Galatians 3v 8 & 9,) Redeemed by the Lord(
                > Galatians 3v13)
                > > Race Relations has come of Age - Ban section 19C Race Relations
                > (Amendement) Act 2000
                > >
                > > 2007 - 200th Anniversary of the Abolition of the Slave Trade
                > > Roll of honour(British Abolitionists):William Wilberforce,
                Thomas
                > Clarkson.Olaudah Equiano,

              • Elizabeth Obisanya
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 3, 2007
                  It is the same thing Kh and C ( Khalifa and Califa..)it is what is known as a Cultural spelling We get it all of the time in the Bible eg. Jonah in the Old testament is known as Jonas in the New.Abraham the father of many nations whose seeds black people are, is known as Avraham to the Jew and Ibrahim to the Moslem or Muslim....
                  With Love
                  Elizabeth.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 3, 2007
                    Without knowing much about her at first I thought Queen Khalifa came from Mali to rather than South Africa as is supposed although given her head gear it is understandable why it would have been concluded as such.
                    All of the early kingdoms wore that type of head gear in one way or form. Some attribute it to their time in Egypt etc.
                    Today we (ladies )wear what is known as a Gele which is a head tie/gear to functions) a type of a royal crown.
                    People only feel comfortable with the notion that black people were the only pagans ( oga buga juju bwana...!) scripturally Pagans ( as stated earlier) were not just black people but ALL peoples that were not called Jews!(Isreal) it was not untill Jesus 's coming that the Promise to Father Avraham( Abraham) that he would be the father of many nations was fulfilled via the allowed grating in of the gentiles or as Jews call us - the Nations as Children of God

                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 3, 2007
                      Regarding the Japan connection. It is true Nigerians are related to Japan and alot of the names are Japanese , alot of the Edo people do look like a tanner version of Japanese people, our cultures etc Because basically God created all nations the same but in different coulurs. ( like luxury cars in different colours..)

                    • John
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 3, 2007
                        Elizabeth -

                        I am not disagreeing with you for the sake of disagreeing, but I would like to better understand the basis for your assertion that Nigerians and Japanese are closely-related populations.  Physical similarity alone is not a compelling argument -is there genetic or historical evidence?

                         You further suggest cultural similarities.  Can you please elucidate your reasoning?

                        Thanks, John.

                        --
                        Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. – Soren Kierkegaard
                      • Jean Libby
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 3, 2007
                          Hi Paul, yes we will see Queen Califia and Leondardo da Vinci in San Francisco on the same day, hopefully next week.

                          John Templeton is hard to find.  Keep trying, and I will also.  He was featured in an article in the San Francisco Chronicle a couple of weeks ago and if you look that up online you can find the article and the reporter, querying.

                          He is Afrocentric and a publisher of Afrocentric materials.

                          Best regards,
                          Jean

                        • Andrew Agha
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 4, 2007

                            Okay, the “kh” and “k” sounds are different, they have two different Arabic characters.  I know this because I am Arab and also a Muslim.  This is not a “cultural spelling” thing.  Ibrahim to Abraham is not the same either, the pronunciation is different.  Just typing the name “Ibrahim” is an English/anglicized way to pronounce the name because we read in English characters and work in an English-based culture-speak.

                            I still want to know what this all has to do with the excavations and interpretations of African-Americans here in the Americas, as the mission statement on the Yahoo Group home page for this group states.

                            Andrew, not Alexander

                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 6, 2007
                              > [Elizabeth writes] Regarding the Japan connection. It is true
                              Nigerians are related to Japan and alot of the names are Japanese ,
                              alot of the Edo people do look like a tanner version of Japanese
                              people, our cultures etc Because basically God created all nations the
                              same but in different coulurs. ( like luxury cars in different
                              colours..)

                              [Marc writes] Hi Elizabeth. I agree that there is much in human
                              appearance and expression that has to do with nothing more than that
                              humans are the same.

                              Take care,

                              Marc W.
                            • paulmarcw
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 6, 2007
                                > [Jean writes] Hi Paul, yes we will see Queen Califia and Leondardo
                                da Vinci in San Francisco on the same day, hopefully next week.

                                > John Templeton is hard to find. Keep trying, and I will also.
                                He was featured in an article in the San Francisco Chronicle a
                                couple of weeks ago and if you look that up online you can find the
                                article and the reporter, querying.

                                > He is Afrocentric and a publisher of Afrocentric materials.
                                >
                                > Best regards,
                                > Jean

                                [Paul Marc w. writes] I'd certainly value being able to contact
                                Bro. Templeton as he no doubt has much more about Califia than would
                                fit in a news article. It would be interesting to find out what that
                                is.

                                Your grands are getting the best of both worlds of art. That is no
                                doubt going to be a highpoint of their vacation: being able to be
                                out and educated with grandmom, with Nana. Nothing better than to
                                spend time with family as one explores their heritage.

                                Kind regards,

                                Paul Marc w.
                              • paulmarcw
                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 6, 2007
                                  [Andrew writes] Okay, the "kh" and "k" sounds are different, they
                                  have two different Arabic characters. <snip>

                                  I still want to know what this all has to do with the excavations
                                  and interpretations of African-Americans here in the Americas, as
                                  the mission statement on the Yahoo Group home page for this group
                                  states.

                                  Andrew, not Alexander

                                  [Marc replies] Andrew. I am sorry for getting your name wrong.
                                  People do it to me all the time. Marc gets mis-named and with
                                  Washington as a last name, I became George to a teacher throughout
                                  an entire semester once. I for one should be getting people's name
                                  right. Please accept my apologies.

                                  You ask what the web page on Califia has to do with excavations and
                                  Afro-American identify. From Washington State both Kenniwick Man and
                                  Stickman from the page were excavated; as well as the mummies from
                                  Northern Europe and Siberia also shown on the page - these in the
                                  upper left. That is the excavation part.

                                  The connection to Afro-American part is that as these were Africans
                                  by origination, as well as Califia (African and in America); it all
                                  ties into Afro-American identity from a historical and prehistoric
                                  perspective from my view: and in that way is within the mission
                                  statement

                                  Thanks for the clarification regarding pronunciation and your
                                  further inquiry.

                                  Best regards,

                                  Marc W.