CFP: Collection on Children and Slavery, Past and Present

  • John
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 21, 2013
      Subject: CFP: Collection on Children and Slavery, Past and Present

      Contributions are invited for a forthcoming volume, *Small Bonds: Enslaved Children from 1607-2014*, currently slated for inclusion in Cambridge UP's new series, *Slavery Since Emancipation*. The essays in this volume will collectively ask how placing children in the forefront of our thinking can change our understanding of how slavery functions in both the past and the present.

      *Two interrelated sets of questions are at the center of this book:
      ** *
      What do we learn by placing past and present iterations of enslavement in conversation? How does attending to the complications of modern coerced labor help to illuminate neglected aspects of the past? How can turning to the past provide frameworks for understanding present conditions? What are the benefits and risks of this transhistorical work?

      How does a focus on children change the terms of our investigation? More specifically, how does a focus on enslaved children alter how we engage questions of property, autonomy, agency, and obligation as we look both to the past and to the present?

      *Some possible subjects might include, but are not limited to:*

      Children, Slavery and the Archive
      Children, Slavery and the Family
      Children, Slavery and the Stories We Tell Children, Slavery and the Law of Supply and Demand: Consent, Coercion and Commodification Children, Slavery and Freedom: The Path Forward Children and Incarceration, Past and Present Children and Domestic Labor, Past and Present Children and Sex Work, Past and Present Children, Slavery and the Law Children, Slavery and Gender

      Please submit a 500-word abstract and c.v. to Anna Mae Duane by August 15, 2013
      * at anna.duane@uconn.edu; or amduane1@gmail.com.