Slavery in France

  • Vera
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18 6:16 PM
      I am Bahamian, and twenty years ago I began the search of a life time. I searched to find the origin of my French maiden name "Poitier" and how this last name arrived in the Bahamas.I have discovered that the french familiy connected to my Ancestry left France during the Religious Reformation in 1650.They settled in Ireland and England. Colonel Charles Poitier,an Officer of the East India Regiment, in England was sent to Jamaica,BWI on assignment by the British Government.He traveled with his slaves from England, but his last "will and testament" revealed that he also purchased additional slaves,perhaps Maroons in the mountains in Jamaica.Shortly, he was re assigned to the Bahamas circa 1807, as the Collector of Customs.Colonel Poitier and his wife had more than 100 slaves.He died in Nassau, Bahamas in 1821 and is buried in the Western Cemetery, Nassau, Bahamas.

      Vera Poitier-Chase
      Nassau, Bahamas