Lucy Wood and Advocacy, Inc.

  • lawnchairactivist
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2006
      Hi all,
      I should have spoken up yesterday, but this thought occurred to me too
      late. But be warned: this is a shameless endorsement.
      I clerked for Lucy Wood at Advocacy last summer, and I could not have
      had a better experience.
      As a first matter, Advocacy, Inc. does a tremendous amount of good
      work, both locally and on a national level. When I arrived last
      summer, the legal director, Elaine Roberts had finished arguing before
      the Supreme Court, and had just found out that the Supreme Court had
      ruled in favor of the petitioners (our side!) on the applicability of
      the ADA to cruise ships flying flags of foreign nations. See Spector
      v. Norwegian Cruise Line Ltd. 125 S.Ct. 2169. There is a fairly large
      amount of appellate advocacy that goes on there as well. At the time,
      the office was working on the (unlawful) implimentation and practices
      of Medicaid in Texas.
      Most cases, however, begin at the ground level. As a clerk, I was able
      to participate in the many levels of advocacy that an attorney working
      on disability law would have to do - intake, preparation for
      deposition, discovery, motions, legal research & brief writing. In
      adadition, I was exposed to a variety of venues that I daresay most
      clerks do not get to experience - competency hearings, placement
      hearings, family court, bankruptcy hearings, federal court, and
      juvenile courts.
      The work is intensive and creative - the outcomes have a real and
      significant impact on your clients.
      As a final matter, Lucy is an amazing attorney, advocate and mentor.
      She runs circles around all the other attorneys we came across last
      summer - so much so that on two separate occasions, the judge, after
      haveing heard testimony from all parties, turned to Lucy and asked:
      "So, Ms. Wood, if you were to draft an order here, what would you have
      it say?" Her recommendations were taken verbatim.
      As a mentor, she has only had my interests in mind. Her goal was to
      make my work as interesting and fulfilling as possible. She gave
      solid, practical feedback on my written assignments. I was given
      singular responsibility of a case during my time there, in addition to
      assisting on others. Lucy was concerned that I network with other
      attorneys, and so made sure I had an opportunity to do so throughout
      the summer. In short, I had a great experience.
      If you have a interest in this line of work, you should contact her.
      You won't regret it.
      Rebecca Ryan