The people of Burma need our help...

  • Stefanie Collins
    Message 1 of 1 , May 28, 2008
      Hey yall--

      I am writing to ask you to help me on an issue that is important to me.  I am part of an effort to build a 1-million person network of support for human rights in the Southeast Asian country of Burma.  Just as millions of Americans came together to help free Nelson Mandela and South Africa in the 1980s, we are trying to organize 1 million people to sign up at www.uscampaignforburma.org to help the world's only imprisoned Nobel Peace Prize recipient and the struggle for human rights democracy in Burma.

      If you don't know much about Burma, you can watch any of 30 very short videos filmed by leading stars Will Ferrell, Jennifer Aniston, Eva Longoria, Eric Szmanda, and many more at www.uscampaignforburma.org and www.burmaitcantwait.org  You can also sign up at either place for the U.S. Campaign for Burma.

      It is free to sign up -- all you need is a name and an email.  I can attest that USCB is an incredible group.  After you sign up, they will send you messages that allow you to contact your members of Congress, United Nations officials, and others to press for human rights in Burma.  They won't waste your time or overload your inbox -- they only ask you to do things that are both important and achievable.

      They will also help you learn more about Burma -- including about the incredible Nobel Peace Prize recipient Aung San Suu Kyi.  She has often been compared to Gandhi or Nelson Mandela because she leads Burma's nonviolent struggle for an end to the country's dictatorship.

      In case you didn't know, Burma's military regime has recruited more child soldiers than any other country in the world, carried out a war on its own civilians, and uses rape as a weapon of war.  Also, after the massive cyclone hit Burma two weeks ago, the military regime has even refused to allow enough humanitarian aid to save the lives of the survivors.  The U.S. Campaign for Burma is leading the charge to make sure that aid reaches those whose lives are on the line.

      It is pretty incredible the power that we can have when we work together as human beings.  We can move governments, institutions, and individuals to take action instead of turning a blind eye to horrible atrocities.

      Please join me in the struggle for human rights in Burma.  Sign up today: www.uscampaignforburma.org

      Stefanie

      Justice for Rodney Reed -- an innocent man on Texas' death row
      www.freerodneyreed.org