Travis County DA race - candidates' forum sponsored by ACLU on Monday

  • Stefanie Collins
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1 6:20 AM
      TMN Logo B&W

      We have succeeded in our effort to get one of the candidates for District Attorney in Travis County (Austin) to take the position to not seek the death penalty if they are elected.
      We had a press conference with Jeanette Popp on Jan 12 for her to make an appeal to the candidates (Watch video). Jeanette also recorded a personal video appeal to the candidates, which you can watch here.
      There is now one candidate in the race, Rick Reed, who publicly opposes the death penalty. If Reed is elected, we will have ended the death penalty in Travis County, at least for the next four years and probably longer. Reed would be the only DA in Texas who has said he would never use the death penalty. Electing an anti-death penalty DA would have a major impact on the death penalty in Texas. Please visit Rick's website and sign up as a supporter or make a donation.
      Rick Reed has said:
      "I have decided to publicly support a moratorium on the death penalty in Travis County. If I am elected District Attorney of Travis County I will not authorize the office to seek the death penalty during my tenure."
      Rick Reed's opposition to the death penalty makes him stand out as the most progressive candidate in a race with three other candidates who all support the death penalty. A stance against the death penalty in a race for District Attorney in Travis County is a perfect fit of issue, office and location.
      The next district attorney can unilaterally end the use of the death penalty within Travis County by not seeking the death penalty and instead using life without parole as an alternative.
      If Reed remains the only candidate in the race who will not seek the death penalty, then it is likely that one of the pro-death penalty candidates will miss the runoff because of their support for the death penalty.
      A campaign is a two-way learning process. It is a way for the community to get to know the candidates and it is a way for the candidates to learn about the community. Most of the people who will vote in the Democratic primary in Travis County on March 4th either believe that the death penalty system in Texas is broken and should not be used until steps are taken to address the problems, or they oppose the death penalty on principle in all cases and believe it should be abolished. Either way, there is likely to be a large amount of support in Austin for candidates who take principled stands against the death penalty in a race where the winner has the power to unilaterally end the use of the death penalty within Travis County.
      It is not too late for the other candidates to take positions on the death penalty that reflect the values and priorities of the progressive community from which they are seeking votes. All the candidates for Travis County District Attorney should follow Rick Reed's example and say that they will not seek the death penalty. We will continue to pressure the rest of the candidates to follow Reed's example and pledge not to seek death sentences.
      Email all the DA candidates and urge them to support a moratorium on the death penalty.
      Mindy Montford's email: info@...
      Gary Cobb's email: voteforgary@...
      Rosemary Lehmberg's email: rosemarylehmberg@...
      Rick Reed's email: campaign@... (Tell him thank you!)

      Travis County DA Candidates Forum
      Texas Moratorium Network & ACLU-TX Central TX Chapter
      invite all interested members of the community to a
      PUBLIC FORUM with the
      CANDIDATES for TRAVIS COUNTY DISTRICT ATTORNEY
      Monday, February 4th, 6pm at:
      Gene's Po Boys
      1209 E. 11th St. (at the Rosewood "Y") (parking behind building)
      Come find out what the candidates believe the DA's priorities should be in matters regarding criminal justice and public safety. This 90-minute forum will attempt to get the candidates on record on a range of important issues, including the death penalty, police misconduct, political corruption, juvenile justice, drug laws and other issues. During one segment of the forum, attendees will be given the opportunity to pose their own questions to the candidates. You may also send suggestions for questions by replying to this email.

      Justice for Rodney Reed -- an innocent man on Texas' death row
      www.freerodneyreed.org