4Horsemen K-9 Kamp - Upcoming Seminar

  • Four Horsemen K Nine Kamp
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2009
    • 1 Attachment
    • 17 KB

    Thank you for the letter and hope your group will be interested in my seminar on the 2nd of january. Seating is limited so if any are wanting to attend please let me know. This is a monthly newsletter that my Pack Member receive, if you would like to receive them as well please let me know.

    Thank You,

    Happy Holidays Pack Members,

    As we are in the holiday season and beginning a New Year I am aware that family and friends will be visiting your home to celebrate the festivities with you. Not only should you share these times with the ones you love, but with your dog as well. Placing them in another room or placing them in the garage just because they jump on guest is not fair to them. You have to remember they are excited too just as your guest are.

    When inviting guest in be sure to control your pack first. If the doorbell sounds or a knock at the door is heard, your dog will alert you. Approach the door and claim the door so your dog understands that you now have control of the matter. Then tell your guest through the door that you will be with them in a second and ask your dog to back away from the door and sit. If you open the open and he/she stands up, repeat the exercise.

    Once your dog understands what you are asking, open the door and remind your guests that when they enter apply the "No Talk, No Touch, No Eye Contact," Rule and ignore the dog. This will give the dog time to smell everyone and see them as pack leaders and guest of the house. Once your guest have calm down you will see the same in your dog and then is the right time to acknowledge the dog by a strong rub. Remember not to over do it or you will over excite the dog.

    As with guest in the house, they need to follow the same rules as the family. And as you know some like to slip foods and drinks to your dog as well, but there are things that are harmful to your dog that either you or your guest are not aware of…..

    Chocolate, Coffee, Caffeine

    – within the items contains a substance called Methylxanthines which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, abnormal heart rhythms, seizures, and even death. Dark chocolate is even more dangerous than white chocolate.

    Gum, Candy, Bake Goods, Toothpaste

    – Many of these contain a sweetener called Xylitol, which can cause liver failure.

    Grapes, Raisin

    – can cause kidney failure

    – dogs lack the enzyme that break down lactose and if given large amounts they can get diarrhea from milk and milk-based products

    – Large amounts can cause excessive thirst and urination.

    Yeast Dough

    – If your dog eats it before the yeast has fully risen (you drop a bit on the floor while preparing it, for instance) the result can be catastrophic. As the dough continues to rise, gas accumulates in the dog’s intestines, which can cause them or the stomach to rupture.

    Avocado Skins

    – can cause vomiting and diarrhea

    Onions, Garlic, Chives

    – large amounts can lead to gastrointestinal irritation

    Moldy Foods

    – small amounts can cause diarrhea where as large amounts can cause seizures, coma, or even death.

    Cooked Bones

    – may splinter more easily than raw bones and shards can become lodged in a dog’s digestive tract

    Macadamia Nuts

    – can cause a wide range of symptoms from depression to tremors to hyperthermia which can last up to 48 hours

    – Not only drinks but food made with alcohol should be avoided as well. The bad effects range from vomiting and diarrhea to death

    To all of you, be safe and enjoy the holiday as we all step into a new year together.

    As a reminder, the Dog Bible Book Study is schedule for Saturday, January 2, 2010.

    At the Pan American Branch Library located off of Hwy 35 South between Sw Military Dr and W. Southcross Blvd. The class fee is $5.00 to attend and will be an hour long starting at 4pm. You will not need to bring your dog as this is a training class for humans and not the dogs. Any questions that you can think of please send them so I may have some information ready for the class.

    Thank you,

    Andres S. Valdez

    Dog Behaviorist

    4Horsemen K-9 Kamp

    fourkninekamp@ yahoo.com

    (210) 584-4413 Cell

    "There are No Bad Dogs, just Misinformed Owners"