Horses

  • Yolanda
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 10, 2009
      Does any one know if there is a law in place here in San Antonio for the horses pulling the carriages about breaks? I was downtown this past weekend and noticed the horses looked very exhausted. The sun has been so hot that I hope that these poor animals are given breaks at least every hour to recover and get a drink of water.

      Thanks
      Yoli
    • Lisa
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 10, 2009
        I'm sorry, I do not know about the regulations regarding the carriage horses here in San Antonio. However since I have been living in New York City for the past year (I'm here visiting for the summer), I have become very opposed to horses working in city streets, as they are treated merely as a means of profit with little regard for their care and safety. I have been downtown San Antonio only about a handful of times this summer and was happy to see that there were no horses out. Since I had not seen any horses working downtown I assumed that it was just way too hot for them, which it obviously is. A horse will go down very quickly when being worked in such heat; as 3 died last summer in New York City from heat exhaustion.
        I do not know much about how the carriage business here in San Antonio, but I assumed it must be better than in NYC. But, I could easily be wrong about that.
        I would suggest that you boycott taking carriage rides and encourage others to do the same, as city streets are no place for live horses.
        If you see are horse working lame (limping and having difficulty walking) I would advise that you call the police asap, get the license number and report them. Also, it is a sign of exhaustion if the horse is breathing excessively, heaving, and sucking in air through his mouth. Nervous kicking, fidgeting, trembling of the legs, and weaving back and forth usually accompany this breathing distress which indicates overheating. Unfortunately, I have seen overheating horses in this distress standing in direct sunlight in NYC all the time, and the best thing to do is call the police, because before you know it, the horse will be down.
        Here are some links that may be of some interest for you:
        http://www.banhdc.org/index.shtml
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQyR4E1Zlbc&feature=PlayList&p=18E5CA958DFFADD8&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=17

        Just to clarify, I am not completely against horse drawn carriages or any other horse related sport (with the exception of racing, but that is another subject) as I am very much involved in English riding. I am against subjecting these poor animals to 9 hour work days walking on hard pavement in the extreme heat and cold, their living situations, and how they are "disposed" when their drivers have driven every single dollar from these animals.
      • Gretchen Fawzi
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 11, 2009
          I got this paragraph from the website
          http://www.horsegazette.com/Monthly_Features/09-Aug/SanAntonioCarriageHorses.html
          If you go to the site, there is more to read including a link to the
          complete ordinance.

          Most people do not realize that the City of San Antonio has worked hard to
          create an ordinance that addresses the health and well-being of these horses
          from many angles. Many hours of research with veterinarians, with permit
          holders (like Rich and Anne Van Dyke of Yellow Rose and HRH Carriage Co.'s),
          the general public, and animal welfare organizations has produced a very
          comprehensive ordinance. In fact, the San Antonio ordinance, Chapter 33
          which covers all ground transportation businesses, is one of the strictest
          in the nation when it comes to horse-drawn carriages.

          Gretchen

          > Does any one know if there is a law in place here in San Antonio for the
          > horses pulling the carriages about breaks? I was downtown this past
          > weekend and noticed the horses looked very exhausted. The sun has been so
          > hot that I hope that these poor animals are given breaks at least every
          > hour to recover and get a drink of water.
          >
          > Thanks
          > Yoli

        • Terry Verner
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 11, 2009

            Thanks Anne for pointing out that the City works hard to protect even its animal citizens. Even with laws in place though, we need observant, caring citizens to notify authorities of the infractions. If you don’t know who to call, you can always call 311, or, if your phone does not permit the three digit calls, 207-6000 and they can locate someone to handle it. Or, ask a police officer to help! No system or person is perfect and things can get mixed up so take the time to write down the case number and follow up if you have not heard back from someone! And thanks again for sharing the fact that the City has one of the best guidelines in the country!

            Terry

          • ymartinez1980@aim.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 11, 2009
              Thanks Gretchen and Lisa for the information. I will be downtown this
              weekend and will observe.

              Yoli