junior copy editor

  • markallence
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2014

      The A.V. Club is seeking a junior copy editor at our Chicago headquarters.The ideal candidate will be extremely detail-oriented but be able to work under tight deadlines, will have outstanding fact-checking abilities, and will be an avid consumer of pop culture. Familiarity with AP Style is a plus.

      Reporting to the A.V. Club editorial manager, this position is integral to maintaining a high-quality website that gets more than 40 million page views a month. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:

      - fact-checking articles, interviews, and other content

      - ensuring perfect spelling, grammar, and adherence to the in-house style guide

      - providing general editorial support as needed

      - occasionally pitching and producing content for the site as needed

      QUALIFICATIONS

      - BA/BS or journalism degree

      - the ability to meet tight deadlines while maintaining high editorial standards

      - strong understanding of grammar and style, and the ability to edit while maintaining author's tone

      - strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to develop relationships with offsite writers

      - strong writing skills

      - familiarity with CMS platforms

      - previous experience with copy editing, proofreading, and/or fact-checking a plus

      - familiarity with TV shows, movies, books, comedy, and/or comics

      ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

      The Onion is an Equal Opportunity Employer.  We offer compensation commensurate with experience and a competitive benefits package that includes comprehensive medical, dental, vision, group life insurance and 401K.

      Interested applicants should apply online. Please, no phone calls.

      https://www.smartrecruiters.com/TheOnion/76252003-a-v-club-jr-copy-editor

    • markallence
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 19

        ABOUT THE COMPANY

        OTR Global is a leading provider of marketplace-based research, also known as channel checking, for the investment industry. We cover consumer products, retail, heavy industry, agriculture, healthcare, technology and telecom by applying an investigative journalism approach to ferret out inflection points affecting specific companies and industries. Our reporters are based in North America, South America, Europe and Asia.

        OUR PRODUCTS

        OTR’s unique approach of engaging investigative journalism techniques uncovers information and intelligence not focused on by traditional Wall Street research firms. Our methodology is based on channel checks and in-depth source interviews, with ongoing relationships with over 10,800 qualified sources worldwide. OTR has dedicated coverage in more than 30 countries with expanding representation in the Americas, Europe, and Asia.

        THE ROLE

        We are looking for a nimble-minded, intellectually curious person with sharp editing skills who is able to anticipate needs, meet multiple daily deadlines and maintain good humor. We publish as many as 12 research reports a day for institutional investment clients. You will edit reports covering many sectors written by reporters in the Americas, Europe and Asia. Candidates who reflect diversity are encouraged to apply.

        POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES

        ·       Copy edit and proofread reports

        ·       Fact check company and product names

        ·       Administrative tasks include managing distribution of source reports and posting daily conference calls online

        PROFESSIONAL AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES:

        ·       Clean editing: Ability to help writers clarify and simplify their ideas

        ·       Maintain quality under pressure and deadlines; ability to prioritize and shift gears

        ·       Ability to identify inconsistencies

        ·       Basic mathematical skills, statistical instincts

        ·       Familiarity with AP style

        ·       Proficiency in InDesign and Excel a plus Minimum 3 years' experience as an editor

        ·       BA/BS degree

        Full-time position, in Purchase, NY, some telecommuting permitted.

        Send resume and two work samples (showing markup) to:

        Joann Steck-Bayat  Resumes@...