junior copy editor

  • markallence
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2014

      The A.V. Club is seeking a junior copy editor at our Chicago headquarters.The ideal candidate will be extremely detail-oriented but be able to work under tight deadlines, will have outstanding fact-checking abilities, and will be an avid consumer of pop culture. Familiarity with AP Style is a plus.

      Reporting to the A.V. Club editorial manager, this position is integral to maintaining a high-quality website that gets more than 40 million page views a month. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:

      - fact-checking articles, interviews, and other content

      - ensuring perfect spelling, grammar, and adherence to the in-house style guide

      - providing general editorial support as needed

      - occasionally pitching and producing content for the site as needed

      QUALIFICATIONS

      - BA/BS or journalism degree

      - the ability to meet tight deadlines while maintaining high editorial standards

      - strong understanding of grammar and style, and the ability to edit while maintaining author's tone

      - strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to develop relationships with offsite writers

      - strong writing skills

      - familiarity with CMS platforms

      - previous experience with copy editing, proofreading, and/or fact-checking a plus

      - familiarity with TV shows, movies, books, comedy, and/or comics

      ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

      The Onion is an Equal Opportunity Employer.  We offer compensation commensurate with experience and a competitive benefits package that includes comprehensive medical, dental, vision, group life insurance and 401K.

      Interested applicants should apply online. Please, no phone calls.

      https://www.smartrecruiters.com/TheOnion/76252003-a-v-club-jr-copy-editor