News editor

  • markallence
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 18, 2014
      The Wenatchee World in beautiful Wenatchee, Wash., is looking for the right person to lead our small copy desk. The ideal candidate have top-notch design and management skills. We publish an evening newspaper Tuesday through Friday, then produce a Sunday morning paper. In addition, we have a quality monthly business-to-business magazine and a bi-monthly glossy lifestyle magazine. We're looking for a creative person who is able to manage a small staff in an atmosphere that encourages and inspires quality work. The Wenatchee World has been owned by the same family for more than 100 years and the well-being and happiness of our employees is a priority for us. Wenatchee is on the Columbia River in North Central Washington, surrounded by beautiful foothills leading to spectacular mountain ranges. We are the Apple Capital of the World and also are home to some of the finest cherry, pear, peach and apricot orchards you'll find anywhere. We have incredible whitewater rafting and are not far from spectacular Lake Chelan and the Bavarian town of Leavenworth. We also have a ski resort just outside town. We use InDesign to paginate pages from a Saxo Tech editorial front end system. Send a cover letter, resume and design examples to editor Cal FitzSimmons at fitzsimmons@... by Tuesday, March 25.
    • markallence
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2015

        NEWS EDITOR NEEDED FOR PACIFIC NORTHWEST NEWSPAPER

        The Yakima Herald-Republic, Central Washington’s leading source of news, has an immediate opening for News Editor. The News Editor handles many tasks in a fast-paced environment, supervising four full-time copy editors who produce daily and advance pages; filling in on the desk when needed; and producing a limited number of special sections, among other duties.

        The ideal candidate is a highly skilled word editor with strong headline writing and page design skills who can coach copy editors as well as learn from their expertise. The News Editor must have strong communication skills and work collaboratively with other supervisory editors as well as our Interactive Media staff to plan compelling coverage and presentation for our print and digital products; effective communication with other departments is also necessary. We seek a highly motivated self-starter who is proactive in learning new skills in the ever-evolving world of journalism publishing.

        Our News Editor must be technically savvy. We use DTI’s Content Manager as our print CMS and Town News BLOX for Web. Applicants who have practical working experience with both are preferred. Systems administrator experience with DTI is helpful. Use of Adobe’s InDesign, InCopy and Photoshop are required; experience with Adobe Illustrator is preferred, as well as a working knowledge of HTML. Knowledge and experience with other programming languages is a plus. Candidates for this position should have at least three years supervisory experience on a daily newspaper copy desk.

        The Herald-Republic is a 28,000-circulation daily that is part of the family-owned Seattle Times Co., which values diversity in the workplace as well as in its coverage. We are located in a leading agricultural area known for its apples and a renowned wine industry. The Yakima Valley has a rich cultural heritage, with a growing Latino population and a history rooted in the American Indian tribes that make up the Yakama Nation. Recreational opportunities abound in a region stretching from the Cascade Mountains to the Columbia River, and the Seattle and Portland, Ore., metro areas are just a few hours away.

        Applicants should submit a formal letter explaining what they have to offer for this position, a résumé, list of references and work samples. Applications should be sent to Editor Bob Crider, at bcrider@... or 114 N. Fourth St., P.O. Box 9668, Yakima, WA 98909.