assignment editor

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19, 2013

      The Record (Bergen County, NJ) has an opening for a night assignment editor. We’re looking for candidates with strong news judgment, top-flight language skills, and a true appreciation for the reporting/editing partnership. We want an editor with a sense of urgency in covering all manner of developing news -- the ability to move quickly and surely as events unfold, to make clear assignments and to offer inspired guidance not only in gathering the news but in editing stories effectively on deadline. Front-end editing is essential. We want an editor who can help define and focus beats, spot regional trends, run with stories beyond the initial hits and encourage hard-hitting enterprise off the news. We want someone who can help his or her staff meet uniformly high standards without sacrificing individuality. Position requires five to seven years of experience, or its equivalent, in editing and/or reporting daily and enterprise news stories; A demonstrated capacity for recognizing what makes a story and when an event is newsworthy; expertise, however gained, in the beats for which the editor is responsible; A working knowledge of good photography, graphics, and page design; A bachelor’s degree, or its equivalent.  We want someone who gets really excited by a great story. If interested, send a resume, your five best work samples and a cover letter outlining your reasons for seeking the job to Douglas Clancy, Assistant Managing Editor, The Record, PO Box 471, 1 Garret Mountain Plaza, Woodland Park, NJ 07424.

      Some background about our newspaper:

      The Record, with a circulation of about 150,000 daily and 180,000 Sunday, is family-owned and located in North Jersey. It has won the "General Excellence Award" as New Jersey's best large daily newspaper (for circulation more than 60,000) in six of the past 10 years. The newspaper is located within 30 minutes of Times Square in Manhattan and is a short drive from the Shore and the mountains. Our company also owns the Herald News, a small daily, and about 60 weekly newspapers and magazines.