copy editor/page designer

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 19, 2013

      The News Tribune in Tacoma, Wash. is seeking a versatile, experienced

      copy editor/page designer to join our newsroom.

      The ideal candidate must have a good sense of modern news layout and

      headline hierarchy as well as solid news judgment. The job requires

      someone who can multitask and work smart. We produce multiple pages

      and read a large volume of copy on tight deadlines with two daily

      publications simultaneously (The News Tribune and our sister paper,

      The Olympian).

      Responsibilities would include nights working on our universal desk

      finishing and sending pages started by our earlier day staff, writing

      accurate headlines, refers and breakout type, as well as copy editing

      for news, features, business and sports. All shifts are evenings (3-11

      p.m. or 3:30 p.m.-11:30 p.m.) and would include weekends.

      The ideal candidate has at least three years of experience working for

      a small daily or large weekly newspaper in copy editing with some page

      layout experience desired. Communication skills need also to be top

      notch as you will need to be in constant contact with editors not on

      site using telephone, email or instant messaging.

      This person would join a universal desk that handles the editing and

      design duties for print. We currently work in InDesign with a Hermes

      platform. Production changes are coming in the next year as we

      integrate the print/online/mobile platforms with a new pagination

      system rollout of CCI NewsGate.

      This is a full time (37.5 hours per week) position. Full

      medical/dental/401k. Please provide 3-5 examples of your best work

      along with references, resume and cover letter.

      Send your packet via e-mail by Nov. 1 (subject line: copy editor/page

      designer) to Liz Wishaw, team leader/editing and presentation at

      liz.wishaw@....

    • markallence
      Message 2 of 3 , May 19, 2014
        Do you love page design and line editing? Do you have experience in a daily newsroom? Does living in one of the world's most beautiful and active mountain resort communities fit your lifestyle?

        The Steamboat Pilot & Today, consistently recognized as one of the best newspapers in Colorado, is seeking a copy editor/page designer to join its four-person desk. We offer competitive salary and benefits. This is an evening shift. The ideal candidate has existing newsroom experience, the ability to multitask and a strong working knowledge of Adobe InDesign and Illustrator as well as AP style. Experience in content management systems and social media platforms also is important.

        The workload here is demanding, but the result is worthwhile. Steamboat Springs is a highly educated city that values its daily news organization and the many products we publish, from websites to magazines to newspapers. If you're interested in working for an award-winning newspaper in beautiful Northwest Colorado, email your cover letter and resume to Evening Editor Vicky Ho atvho@.... We plan to immediately fill this position, so the ability to move to Colorado in a short time frame is essential. No phone calls, please.

        Location: Steamboat Springs, Colorado
        Job Status: Full-time
        Salary: $30,000 to $35,000

        Contact: Evening Editor Vicky Ho at vho@...

      • markallence
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5

          View Neighborhood Newspapers seeks a copy editor/page designer to edit and design our North View edition. View is a total market coverage publication that includes 11 weekly zoned community newspaper editions covering the Las Vegas Valley. Views are featured on Thursdays in the Las Vegas Review-Journal for daily subscribers and are mailed to nonsubscribers. With a combined circulation of more than 589,000, View reaches more readers than any publication in Nevada. This position would be part assignment editor and part page designer and involves working with a staff writer to conceptualize story ideas, editing copy and asking the right questions to fill story holes, laying out pages and writing headlines, posting stories to the web and managing a newspaper Twitter account. A good fit for this position is someone who is ready to take ownership of their edition from start to finish. New graduates are welcome to apply but experience with page design and Adobe InDesign is required, and experience with Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop is preferred. Send cover letter, resume and page design examples to View Editor Lisa Valentine at View, 1111 W. Bonanza Road, PO Box 70, Las Vegas, NV, 89125-0070, or email lvalentine@.... Web links to online resumes and page design samples are welcome.