section editor

  • markallence
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2013
      If you'd like the opportunity to be a section editor at The Times-Picayune in New Orleans, now's your chance. In this full-time role, you'll edit a wide array of pages and stories for our daily print product. Shrewd news judgment and reliable copy-editing skills are fundamental to success here. Different days of the week bring varied challenges: One day you might edit a features section, the next day metro news, the next sports or op-ed.

      In our newsroom, you'll benefit from a truly collaborative environment but also have the opportunity to work independently. We expect decision-makers at all levels of the operation, so you'll have a true voice in the process. Section editors work with designers and page producers to craft striking and journalistically sound presentations. New Orleans is a lively, unique city that generates captivating stories daily, so the material you'll work with is more galvanizing than in many other places.

      You must be willing to work a schedule that includes nights, weekends and holidays. But you'll live in New Orleans, where the cost of living is low, and world-renowned events, including Mardi Gras and Jazz Fest, keep the fun going year-round. If you wish to help create the future of journalism and to work for a new type of company at NOLA Media Group, then this role could be just right for you.

      To succeed as a section editor, your traditional skill-set and experience will be crucial. You'll have a wide array of platforms by which to capture content and you should work with and embrace them all. You'll not only need your technical skills, but also advanced interpersonal skills and leadership qualities. If you feel you're up for the challenge, send your résumé and samples to:

      Shawn McClellan
      Curation Leader
      3800 Howard Ave.
      New Orleans, LA 70125

      2 openings.
      Additional Salary Information: Negotiable
      We're looking for an expert to drive content selection and collaborate on presentation for our daily print newspaper. We need an editor with tried-and-true experience.
      To be a strong fit for the role you will also need:

      2+ years of professional experience working as a section editor or similar role
      A bachelor's degree in journalism, a related field or the equivalent in work experience
      Knowledge of a variety of print media formats
      The ability to manage production timelines, meeting deadline consistently
      Demonstrated news judgment that adapts and coincides with direction set by management
      Solid copy-editing skills
      The ability to work a flexible schedule that will include nights, weekends, and holidays as needed
      Knowledge of graphic design concepts and an ability to work with designers