Versatile copy editor/page designer needed

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2013
      The Virgin Islands Daily News needs a copy editor who is an expert at precision editing. The person awarded this position will be a key player on our Copy Desk, which edits news, features and sports stories for accuracy and consistency of facts, grammar, punctuation, spelling and style.

      The copy editor we hire must be highly proficient at writing clear, accurate and engaging headlines without using puns and must be capable of laying out and paginating well-organized and visually compelling pages. The job requires unwavering attention to detail and the ability to work to the highest standards of the profession while under intense deadline pressure. We work with InCopy/InDesign, so skills in those programs are a plus.

      Applicants must have experience as a copy editor for a print newspaper; experience limited to a magazine, website, blog or any publication other than a daily newspaper is not adequate preparation.

      The Virgin Islands Daily News is the leading daily newspaper of record in the U.S. and British Virgin Islands. We have a proud history of award-winning journalism, including the Pulitzer Prize for Public Service. Along with numerous other honors, our staff has been honored with the national Associated Press Managing Editors Public Service Award; Associated Press Sports Editors awards for reporting; the Investigative Reporters and Editors award for investigative reporting; and the ABA Silver Gavel for investigative reporting on law enforcement and justice. To apply, please e-mail a cover letter, resume and newspaper pages clearly marked to indicate stories you have edited, headlines you have written and pages you have designed. Address your application to Executive Editor Gerry Yandel at jobapps@....