lead designer

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15, 2013
      We are looking for an energetic and creative lead designer who can work easily with editorial to create beautiful, surprising and memorable designs. The successful candidate will have ideas that fit the sensibility of the magazine and the ability to execute quickly with an obsessive attention to detail. Our ideal designer should be able to work collaboratively with both editorial and marketing teams, switching seamlessly from one type of design to the next. Experience in print publishing is a must. Some experience with Web design a plus. This is not an entry-level position. Position is in suburban Chicago.

      Some specific responsibilities include:

      Design of two monthly magazines
      Cover concept and feature design
      Marketing-related design including logo design, ad design, marketing support design, and other meetings and conference related materials.
      Work closely with production and print house to ensure timely and quality publishing month to month.

      Candidates should have at least five years experience as a designer for B2B trade, commercial, or book publishing press. Experience with InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Mac platforms a must.

      Responsibilities:
      Lead designer on CSP magazine
      Lead designer on Convenience Store Products magazine
      Maintaining brand in terms of quality, detail, and consistency.
      Work closely with editorial and marketing teams to achieve desired story, look or angle.
      Be a team player – in this position you will lead discussion with a Design Director, as well as editors and marketing staff. You must be willing to consider other ideas and direction, and yet implement them in a creative and personal way. You must be able to surprise us. Sometimes we don't know how good our ideas are.
      You must be able to make subpar art look beautiful. Photoshop skills must be good. We routinely look for even our beautiful art to be made even more beautiful.
      In this position you are as much a storyteller as our editorial and marketing teams. Participate in meetings to learn the trade and participate in broader discussions on art and style. You are more than someone placing photos on a page; you are also a storyteller.
      Must be willing to work closely with other designers. This is a collaborative work environment and you must be able to thrive and grow in it.
      You must be good under pressure, meeting multiple deadlines and juggling a multi-project load.
      Good charting experience.

      Please contact Abbey Lewis at alewis@... to apply.