Washington Post copy editor

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 11, 2013
      The Washington Post's Editorial department is looking for a versatile copy editor who enjoys dealing with a variety of subjects and can satisfy our wide-ranging print and web responsibilities.

      Editorial produces much of the Post's brand-name content, including columns from five Pulitzer Prize winners and blogs such as Right Turn and PostPartisan, and our copy desk edits all of this material for use in print and online. We then go beyond traditional copy-editing duties by designing and publishing our own print pages (17 a week) and handling our own web production.

      The successful candidate must be able to shift speedily and smoothly among these roles, always with a bias toward prioritizing online publication. Experience editing on deadline is a definite plus, since we are effectively on deadline all day in editing Editorial's many blogs. Other important qualities include copy-editing experience on a daily newspaper, solid news judgment, an avid and wide-ranging interest in the news and, of course, outstanding editing skills, including an aptitude for writing lively headlines.

      We anticipate asking this editor to fill in regularly as slot and occasionally as letters editor, so we especially want to talk to applicants with a proven record of directing colleagues and working directly with the public.

      Our desk works days, but this position does require some evening hours, and it may involve working at least one weekend day.

      To apply for this demanding but rewarding position, please contact Scott Butterworth, Editorial's copy chief, at butterworth@... by Jan. 24.
    • markallence
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 21

        The Washington Post's Editorial department is looking for a versatile copy editor who enjoys dealing with a variety of subjects and can satisfy our wide-ranging responsibilities.

        The copy desk handles all types of opinion journalism -- from syndicated columns to letters to the editor, editorials to blog postings -- preparing them for publication in print and online. We then go beyond traditional copy-editing duties by designing and publishing our own print pages (18 a week) and handling our own Web production.

        The successful candidate should be able to shift among these roles, always with a bias toward prioritizing online publication. (If you’re short on page-design or Web-production experience, don’t fret: We can train you on what you’ll need.) She or he will have outstanding editing skills and a knack for writing lively, engaging headlines. A keen interest in politics and policy -- Editorial’s bread and butter -- is highly useful.

        Because everyone on the desk takes a turn as slot and fills in occasionally as letters editor and op-ed editor, experience directing colleagues effectively and collegially and working directly with the public is useful.

        This position will include daytime and evening hours and, on a rotation, working weekend days. (Our desk is staffed 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. weekdays and reduced hours on weekends.)

        Please contact Trey Johnson, Editorial Copy Chief -- by e-mail only -- with questions or if you are interested.

        Trey Johnson

        Editorial Copy Chief

        The Washington Post

        johnsont@...