Washington Post copy editor

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 11, 2013
      The Washington Post's Editorial department is looking for a versatile copy editor who enjoys dealing with a variety of subjects and can satisfy our wide-ranging print and web responsibilities.

      Editorial produces much of the Post's brand-name content, including columns from five Pulitzer Prize winners and blogs such as Right Turn and PostPartisan, and our copy desk edits all of this material for use in print and online. We then go beyond traditional copy-editing duties by designing and publishing our own print pages (17 a week) and handling our own web production.

      The successful candidate must be able to shift speedily and smoothly among these roles, always with a bias toward prioritizing online publication. Experience editing on deadline is a definite plus, since we are effectively on deadline all day in editing Editorial's many blogs. Other important qualities include copy-editing experience on a daily newspaper, solid news judgment, an avid and wide-ranging interest in the news and, of course, outstanding editing skills, including an aptitude for writing lively headlines.

      We anticipate asking this editor to fill in regularly as slot and occasionally as letters editor, so we especially want to talk to applicants with a proven record of directing colleagues and working directly with the public.

      Our desk works days, but this position does require some evening hours, and it may involve working at least one weekend day.

      To apply for this demanding but rewarding position, please contact Scott Butterworth, Editorial's copy chief, at butterworth@... by Jan. 24.