Magazine editor

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2013
      Location: Mobile, Alabama

      This dynamic leadership role offers you the opportunity to take ownership and serve as the face of a new lifestyle publication with the preeminent local media company, Alabama Media Group. As Magazine Editor, you will manage the monthly production of Coastal Alabama magazine as you oversee a team of freelance contributors and manage all aspects of creative and content development for the publication. We're looking for a creative editorial expert with proven writing skills and the flexibility and passion to play a key role in shaping the overall direction and image of the magazine. This is a prime opportunity to become part of the excitement, energy, and entrepreneurial drive of a new venture, while also enjoying the strong success and solid foundation of an established Alabama favorite.

      To be a good fit for this opportunity you will have:
      • A bachelor's degree in Journalism, English, Communications or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
      • Five to 10 years of magazine publication experience.
      • Experience leading and directing a team of freelancers.
      • Strong reporting, writing and editing experience and the ability to guide the photography and design process.
      • Effective communication and presentation skills.
      • Excellent computer, typing and spelling skills, including proficiency with the MS Office suite of applications and various social media platforms. Familiarity with Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, WordPress and/or Movable Type is highly preferred.
      Your core competencies and characteristics should include:
      • Creative thinking skills and the willingness to play a hands-on role executing details.
      • Solid leadership and project management skill and experience.

      Alabama Media Group is a digitally-focused news and information company that combines quality journalism from The Birmingham News, The Huntsville Times, Mobile's Press-Register and The Mississippi Press with up-to-the-minute access of AL.com. Alabama Media Group provides innovative ways to inform, connect and empower the people of Alabama and in the communities we serve.

      Alabama Media Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, physical or mental impairment, sexual orientation or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.

      Alabama Media Group endeavors to make AL.com accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact thawkins@....

      IMPORTANT: HOW TO APPLY

      We want you to be as selective as we are! For a detailed "Insider's View" of this position and to submit your resume, please visit the following URL:

      http://al.jobinfo.com/description.php?jid=21100125&adid=66013

      If the link does not work, simply copy the complete URL and paste it into your browser's address line.

      PLEASE RESPECT OUR RECRUITMENT PROCESS. DO NOT USE ANY OTHER METHOD TO APPLY OR CLICK ANY OTHER BUTTONS. Thank you for your attention to this detail.