Part-time copy editor, Alabama Media Group, Birmingham

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 28, 2012
      This is a unique opportunity for you to bring your editing skills to a highly collaborative environment in which everyone has a voice -- and help create the future of journalism as we reinvent Alabama's largest media company. This is a diverse role in which you will edit copy for newspapers, magazines, special sections and other publications, and also impact online stories. We are proactive about helping our people develop professionally and, once you have proven yourself in this role, you might develop the skills to pursue a variety of career paths (curating, pagination, design, etc.) as we grow and evolve.

      We have opportunities for both full-time and part-time Copy Editors, so feel free to share this information with your talented colleagues.

      To be a good fit for this opportunity you will have:
      A bachelor's degree in journalism or a relevant combination of education and experience.
      Experience in copy editing in a newsroom in a similar-size market is preferred. We also will consider candidates who are just starting their careers, in which case you'll need some experience, such with a college paper.
      A strong understanding of AP style.
      Excellent grammar and spelling skills, with exceptional attention to detail.
      The ability to write creative, eye-catching headlines.
      The ability to balance efficient and accurate editing with a quick turnaround time.
      Experience with pagination.
      Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
      Click the "Apply" button for further details...
      Alabama Media Group is a digitally-focused news and information company that combines quality journalism from The Birmingham News, The Huntsville Times, Mobile's Press-Register and The Mississippi Press with up-to-the-minute access of AL.com. Alabama Media Group provides innovative ways to inform, connect and empower the people of Alabama and in the communities we serve.

      Alabama Media Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, physical or mental impairment, sexual orientation or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.

      Alabama Media Group endeavors to make AL.com accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact thawkins@....

      IMPORTANT: HOW TO APPLY

      We want you to be as selective as we are! For a detailed "Insider's View" of this position and to submit your resume, please visit the following URL:

      http://al.jobinfo.com/description.php?jid=21100062&adid=49600

      If the link does not work, simply copy the complete URL and paste it into your browser's address line.

      PLEASE RESPECT OUR RECRUITMENT PROCESS. DO NOT USE ANY OTHER METHOD TO APPLY OR CLICK ANY OTHER BUTTONS. Thank you for your attention to this detail.