Multiplatform news editor, Wichita Eagle

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2012
      The Wichita Eagle, Kansas' largest newspaper, is looking for an editor for its news desk. We're a multiplatform copy desk, giving equal attention to print and digital news editing and production.

      The ideal candidate has at least two years' experience as a newspaper copy editor, a reputation for detail-oriented editing and spot-on headline writing, an ability to work collaboratively with other teams, and big-picture ideas about how copy editors can help newspapers and websites better reach their audiences.

      If you enjoy debating everything from proper hyphen use to whether the AP was right about "hopefully," and are bothered by the false range in this sentence, you may be the person we're looking for. Bonus points to the candidate who doesn't go into a prescriptivist tizzy over our ending the previous sentence with a preposition.

      In addition to being a master of grammar, usage and style, successful candidates should be fluent in social media, well-versed in search engine optimization and have excellent news judgment. A demonstrated ability working within a digital-content management system is preferred.

      The Eagle is one of the best midsize dailies in the country and the news desk staff won ACES's Headline Writers of the Year award this year. The desk prides itself on maintaining a light, collegial atmosphere and a great relationship with the rest of the newsroom, while still upholding the highest standards for editing. Wichita is one of the most liveable cities in the Midwest -- good schools, zero traffic, four distinct seasons and some of the lowest housing costs in the country.

      If you're interested in the job, send a cover letter, your resume and about 10 clips to:

      Michael Roehrman
      Deputy Editor/News Desks
      The Wichita Eagle
      825 E. Douglas Ave.
      Wichita, KS 67202

      E-mail is also fine (as are attachments in PDF or Word). The address is mroehrman@....

      The McClatchy Company is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits
      discrimination and harassment in the workplace. The company promotes a drug-free environment, and offers of employment at most McClatchy properties are contingent upon successful completion of a post-offer drug screen.