Copy editor (2 positions)
Full-time (40 hours), shifts typically run from 2 to 11 p.m., weekend shifts included
* Being the newspaper's primary liaison between the SJ-R newsroom and GateHouse's Design House designers in Rockford. The copy editor would work with local newsroom editors to determine the plan for the next day's newspaper and communicate with the designers to ensure that plan is carried out as the newspaper is being assembled.
* Working with the night metro editor and the night sports editor, being among the final editors in the newsroom to read, edit and fact-check local copy before it is submitted to the Design House.
* Being/becoming proficient in the company's content management system, Saxotech Mediaware Center, and utilizing it to assemble, organize and prioritize local content pieces (articles, sidebars, photos, web elements) for easy and understandable access at the Design House.
* Monitoring local, state and national news sources to keep SJ-R.com updated with the latest headlines during the evening hours and monitoring reader-submitted content, including user comments, photos and community blog entries.
* With input from the digital editor, finalizing the content placement and overall appearance of SJ-R.com at the end of the evening.
* Assisting reporters with basic editing and posting of breaking news video and other multimedia pieces.
* As scheduling allows and news needs dictate, occasionally providing multimedia-based web coverage of news events in the evening hours, including but not limited to shooting video or live-blogging an event.
Previous copy editing experience, familiarity with Saxotech and knowledge of the Springfield, Ill., area, its vernacular and its history a plus.
Send a cover letter, resume and work examples to Jason Piscia, digital editor, at jason.piscia@...
. Please put "copy editor " in subject line. Applications will be accepted through July 9.
The State Journal-Register currently offers the following benefits:
Vacation: Prorated 10 days for remaining 2012 plan year. Thereafter 10 days per year.
Health Insurance: Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO Plans (Basic and Enhanced).
Dental Insurance: MetLife
Vision: Vision Service Plan
Life Insurance: Mutual of Omaha
401(k): First of the month following 30 days of employment