Do typos bother you? Do you erase extraneous commas on chalkboards outside restaurants? Do you read headlines and know that you could craft a better one? Do you write thank-you notes in AP style?
The PBS NewsHour has an immediate opening for a sharp, detail-oriented desk assistant with strong copy-editing skills and a solid editorial background to help with the daily production of its website. The entry-level position, which offers a chance to gain experience in online news production for an international audience, is located at the NewsHour studios in Arlington, Va.
- Working closely with night digital production manager, video production assistant, online news editors and managing editor for digital news to perfect transcripts of NewsHour broadcast discussions and other online content.
- Prepping headlines and blurbs for the homepage and website indices
- Organizing and distributing email from viewers
- Assisting editorial and production staff with special projects
- Serving as backup for social media outreach and other duties, as assigned
The evening online desk assistant starts work at 2 p.m. As scheduling allows, DAs can work on enterprise news and arts coverage as approved by their supervisor. This is a 6-month position.
Knowledge of copy editing, AP style and computer skills are required. Experience with content-management systems, blogging software, SEO strategies and video management systems are big pluses.
Please e-mail a cover letter and resume to resumes@...
Listing is also on Journalism Jobs: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1362822