Copy editor, The Courier and Daily Comet, Thibodaux, LA.

    Message 1 of 1 , May 14, 2012
      The Courier and Daily Comet in Houma and Thibodaux, La., award-winning newspapers in the bayou country of south Louisiana, are seeking a copy editor.

      You'll join a desk of four other copy-editor page designers that produces all pages for the two newspapers. The copy desk also posts content to our websites, houmatoday.com and dailycomet.com, and engages in social media and other digital journalism.

      We're looking for someone with a flair for page design who can edit and proofread stories meticulously and write strong headlines under deadline pressure. And we're looking for someone with strong organizational skills who can manage our workflow and page flow smoothly and efficiently.

      This job requires someone with a strong nose for news and the ability to foster the teamwork it takes to produce high-quality journalism consistently and quickly. The ideal candidate will think critically, manage multiple assignments well and consider no project too big or small. To succeed, you'll need to embrace change and adapt to ever-changing reader demands, both in digital and print.

      Mastery of the English language, including spelling and grammar, along with AP style are a given. Dexterity with common word and photo-processing systems and software are essential, along with a basic understanding of common layout and design systems. We use Adobe Creative Suite, which includes InCopy, InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator. A four-year college degree is required. Previous experience at a daily newspaper or other professional news organization are preferred but not required. Work on some weekends and nights is required.

      The Courier and Daily Comet, with a combined daily circulation of about 23,000, consistently earn major journalism awards, and The Courier has been named Louisiana Press Association Newspaper of the Year for the past eight years. Live and work a unique, fun and colorful community with Cajun roots, lots of festivals and some of the best freshwater and saltwater fishing in the world. An hour's drive will take you to New Orleans and all of the pro sports, fantastic food and world-class entertainment for which the city is famous.

      Salary is about $30,000 a year. Both papers are owned by the Halifax Media Group, a Daytona Beach, Fla.,-based company strongly committed to community journalism.

      To apply, send your resume, along with at least five writing and page-design samples, to Karen Dauzat, Human Resource Director, P. O. Box 2717, Houma, La. 70361. You can also e-mail your information to Karen.dauzat@....