Copy editor, Bryan-College Station Eagle, Bryan, Texas

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8 12:57 PM
      Primary responsibilities include news headline writing, copy editing, layout and design on deadline. Must have an eye for detail and a passion for grammar, usage and style. Familiarity with newspaper design preferred, as is knowledge of AP style.

      Must have solid grasp of a design program (ex. QuarkXPress, InDesign) and be proficient on Macintosh platform. Should have some experience working with photo editing and graphics software (PhotoShop, Adobe Illustrator) and have a working knowledge of web publishing. We want someone who is meticulous about getting the headlines and stories right while presenting the pages in a way that grabs readers.

      Must be willing to be part of a collaborative team, take initiative but also follow directions and must be willing to work nights and weekends. The copy desk is young and welcomes new ideas for page design, our website and social networking. There are opportunities to experiment with design, as the copy desk handles features and entertainment sections as well as daily news pages.

      The Bryan-College Station Eagle is a small newspaper that thinks like a major metro, which is where many of our staffers go from here. Our award-winning reporters and sports writers cover an eight-county area. Our community is home to two colleges, including Texas A&M. The area offers an active nightlife and arts scene, great schools and all that Texas A&M University and Blinn College have to offer.

      We highly value our community and our employees, who are compensated with a good benefits package (health insurance/401K/dental/vision) and competitive pay. Send cover letter, clips and résumé to Liz Webb, copy desk chief, 1729 Briarcrest Drive, Bryan, 77802 or email her at liz.webb@.... No phone calls please.

      For more information about our business and products visit http://www.theeagle.com