Copy Editor, Houzz.com, Palo Alto, Calif.
- Houzz.com, an early-stage, well-funded startup that focuses on interior design is searching for an experienced Copy Editor to join its team. This startup is a combination of a website and an iPad application that provides access to one of the largest interior design databases on the Web. The Copy Editor will work on home and garden, decorating and architecture topics. This is a great opportunity to have an impact on the success of a rapidly growing startup and become part of a strong editorial team.
* Edit material for stylistic consistency, logical organization and rational development of content
* Prepare daily home and garden articles and other text for publication, ensuring accuracy, spelling, grammar, punctuation, AP style and SEO
* Help writers tighten and organize copy and use an active voice, while allowing each writer's point of view and personality to shine
* Monitor design trends and news to ensure the highest quality of home and garden content on the Web
* Support Editor on other projects as needed
* One to two years of experience on a copy desk with a daily production schedule
* Two to five years of experience writing or editing home and garden content for a newspaper, magazine or website
* Training in copy editing skills, including proven excellence in spelling, style, punctuation and grammar
* Excellent English language skills, with a knack for tight writing, personality and an active voice
* Journalism or English degree
* Ability to bring stories to life with creative, engaging headlines and fun, informative story summaries
* Familiarity with best practices of writing and editing for the Web
* Ability to work in a fast-paced, daily production schedule
* Avid reader of interior decorating, architecture, home improvement and gardening sites, magazines and blogs
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to janet@...
Location: Peninsula/South Bay
Compensation: competitive + equity
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
Please, no phone calls about this job!
Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.