Dayside copy editor, The Roanoke Times

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 23, 2011
      Job Title Copy Editor - Dayside
      Requirement ID 481675
      Begin Date 12/16/11
      Duration
      Location Roanoke, VA 24011
      Other Location
      Description

      The Roanoke Times is looking for a creative and flexible dayside copy editor to support our web-first community publications. The dayside copy editor must be an agile thinker, have strong news judgment and editing skills, be proficient with blogging software and social media, and have an appreciation for community journalism. Candidates should also have strong organizational skills, pay keen attention to detail and be a team player who can work in a collaborative environment under tight deadlines.

      This person will be a member of a universal desk and work alongside our community team and social media editor. The dayside copy editor should expect to work in both the main Roanoke office and our Christiansburg bureau, where we produce a community website and reverse-published zoned edition.

      Essential duties and responsibilities:

      * Prepares reader-submitted content for publication online in a web-first approach. Posts content in a timely and accurate manner using our blogging software.

      * Further edits and organizes reader submissions for print, adhering to the deadline expectations of the design team.

      * Works with community journalists to encourage reader submissions. This might mean, for instance, contacting the local parks and rec department to work with coaches to encourage submissions of team photos.

      * Pushes out our content through various social media channels, including Facebook and Twitter. Works with our social media editor to maintain a consistent voice and apply the same standards we set for our other online operations.

      * Edits copy and write display type in accordance with AP style, the stylebook of The Roanoke Times and Webster's New World Fourth Edition. (An editing test will be required.)

      * Works with the designer to review page proofs and makes necessary corrections.

      * Works nights and weekends as needed to serve as a back-up to team members on the universal desk.

      Minimum skills and qualifications:

      * Bachelor's degree with at least six months' experience at a daily newspaper/news website (or the equivalent with a strong internship)

      * A savvy understanding of the Internet, social media and community journalism

      * Demonstrated ability to write clearly, tightly and accurately, on deadline, both in print and digital platforms

      * Knowledge of AP style and strong copy-editing skills

      * Ability to multi-task and work across team lines

      * Sound traditional news judgment and ethics

      * Proficiency with technology required to fill duties, such as digital photography, blogging software and other content management and sharing systems

      Required Skills •Bachelor's degree with at least six months' experience at a daily newspaper/news website (or the equivalent with a strong internship)

      To apply for this job, visit http://job.roanoke.com/jobs/detail/44116252/1