Editor & Content Strategist, Software Advice, Austin, Texas

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2011
      At Software Advice, our growth has created an awesome opportunity at the intersection of content marketing and journalism.
      In our business, it's all about content. Want to rank well in Google? You need great content. Want to spread virally across the social network? Content. Want to engage visitors on the website? Content.

      We generate all sorts of content: blog posts, tweets, buyer's guides, e-books and community-generated content. We're generating so much content, we're struggling to hold it all together. What we're doing is working well, but now we need to scale. To scale, we need editorial talent to help us research, write and publish outstanding content.

      We're looking for an experienced editor who can manage an editorial calendar, edit copy for detail, and lead a young team of writers - all wrapped up in a personality that loves the pace and challenges of a small, growing company.

      This is a managerial role, with lots of responsibility and room for growth, if that's what you seek. You will immediately take on responsibility for a team of six. It's critical that you have experience managing a team - ideally writers and journalists - and can teach the art of writing well.

      On Monday mornings, you'll manage our editorial meeting, ensuring content is on schedule, while helping our team conceive of their next great content ideas. A lot of these ideas are blog posts, but there will also be info-graphics, buyer's guides and research reports. For the rest of the week, you'll help the team dig up sources, refine their theses, write beautiful prose, and get it all out the door in a professional format.

      Sound like a tall order? We need someone with the:
      creativity to conceive of great content ideas;
      skills to write beautifully, and teach that skill to others;
      journalism background to share with our young team;
      processes discipline to keep the editorial trains running; and,
      management talent to lead a young, growing team.

      We're thinking our ideal candidate has ten years of experience in journalism and other editorial functions. Being a good writer is not enough. Management experience is a must, as we've got a team of writers waiting for your direction. We will consider other content marketing backgrounds, as long as you possess excellent research, writing and management experience.

      What we do
      Software Advice is an innovative demand generation service for software companies. We match software buyers - whom we meet on the web - with a short list of software companies that can meet their needs. Software companies pay us when we make referrals that match their target customer profile. Buyers get free advice; software companies get highly qualified leads. It all works out quite nicely.

      Who we are
      We're a team of thirty crushin' it at Congress & 7th in downtown Austin. Our culture is our greatest advantage. We like what we do and we like each other. We get stuff done. We thrive on progress and momentum. Our customers like us. So do the software buyers we help. We were founded in 2005 and we've been profitable since 2007. Because we've bootstrapped our business (i.e. no venture capital), we can put our employees first, rather than cater to investors.

      What we offer
      We pay very well and we offer great benefits. Our health care insurance will make you wish you were sick. We got dental. We got 401(k), with matching. You'll enjoy three weeks of vacation each year and another full month of our unique "work abroad" program. We do smart stuff, like work on Columbus Day, but make Christmas Eve a paid holiday. More than anything, we offer opportunity. Our rapid, organic growth is creating great career opportunities for great people.

      Interested? Apply online at www.softwareadvice.com/careers.