Editor/desinger, Marion (Kan.) Record

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16 8:07 AM
      Edit and design at top community weekly

      One of the nation's best rural weeklies, winner of 21 statewide awards this year, seeks a talented copy editor / page designer who is eager to coach a passionate staff of eight full- and part-time journalists as they plan enterprising coverage and create engaging narratives -- and who can then turn around and combine the reporters' tautly written text with content-rich photos to create lively, colorful, effective designs.

      We generate breaking news with the best of them, but our work environment typically is more like a magazine's than a daily newspaper's.

      Copy editors and designers here are never consigned to shoveling mounds of wire copy and piles of fudged-up content from anonymous daysiders into inside pages late at night. In our newsroom, the editor / designer deals with stories from idea to execution, works more or less normal or possibly some flextime hours, and is an active captain of the team that shapes every page of every edition.

      One day a week typically is spent designing. Two or three days are spent editing. There's often time left over to indulge in writing a feature a two, covering a sports or community event, dabbling in column or editorial writing or shooting photos, as your interests and abilities allow.

      Experience with InDesign (preferred), Quark or similar is required. Experience with photojournalism is a definite plus. Understanding of online and social media also might be beneficial.

      We're the flagship publication of a family-owned, three-weekly group (total print circulation 5,100, monthly online nique users 14,000) headquartered in an artsy, historic county seat (population 2,000) with low cost of living and excellent public facilities in between two recreational lakes on the edge of the scenic Flint Hills, an hour from Wichita and three hours from Kansas City.

      The salaried position ($25-30k) includes full individual health coverage, a year-end bonus based on profitability, and even potential, if you stay long enough, for an ownership stake.

      Promising entry-level applicants with internship and student media experience are welcome. More experienced applicants might be considered for the titled position of news editor, with some administrative and supervisory responsibilities as well.

      Send inquiries, including your resume, names of references and samples of your work, to Publisher Eric Meyer at eric@....

      Serious applicants also should take a few minutes to review PDFs of our recent issues (posted at the private address http://marionrecord.com/review.html) and offer a brief assessment -- nothing terribly formal -- of what he or she believes to be the papers' strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities for improvement, especially in areas in which the applicant envisions that his or her leadership could prove valuable.