Visiting assistant professor, Columbia Missourian and the Missouri School of Jou

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 16, 2011
      Do you want to help create the right, bright future for journalism? If so, consider spending a year where that's happening every day.

      The Columbia Missourian and the Missouri School of Journalism seeks a designer with editing chops, experience and vision for its print and digital platforms. You'll work with talented students to produce daily print and digital editions as well as teach design in the classroom.

      About Us: We are the nation's top journalism school with a professional daily newsroom at its center. We build on more than 100 years of tradition and excellence to move boldly into the future. Experienced professionals lead our student staff; together they deliver award-winning community news.

      We pride ourselves on innovation, experimentation and taking risks that many newsrooms can't or won't. Words like "convergence" and "Web-first"? So yesterday.

      We have given over most of the decision-making and creative process to the print design team â€" can you take our design students and print publications to new and interesting places?

      We have invented a new Interactive Copy Desk as the hub of our digital newsroom. We are about to launch the Next Big Thing in matching journalistic sense-making with the semantic Web; don't apply if you aren't willing to dive into a new content management system. And as soon as we figure those things out, we try something new.

      The successful candidate will have:

      -- A proven commitment to accuracy and word editing.

      -- Design experience (print or Web) that goes beyond aesthetics, picas or pixels into real visual storytelling.

      -- An ability to envision multiple ways users interact with information, and plan packages for digital and print products with the user in mind.

      -- Curiosity about and comfort with digital tools and trends.

      -- Comfort with or desire/ability to learn: InDesign, xhtml, CSS, Photoshop.

      Application screening will begin immediately. Please visit http://hrs.missouri.edu/find-a-job/academic/ to access the online application system. Applications must include a letter of interest, a C.V. or resume and a list of professional references.

      The University of Missouri is committed to cultural diversity and it is expected that successful candidate will share this commitment. MU is an Equal Employment Opportunity/ADA institution and encourages applications from women and minority candidates.