Copy editor, SmartBrief, Washington, D.C.

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2011
      SmartBrief is seeking a full-time copy editor as we continue the expansion of our editorial operations for our online business-news publications. What we're looking for: Someone who loves editing and who thrives in a fast-paced, deadline-intensive, daily-newsroom-style work environment. Someone who knows when to give ground on a potential issue and when to keep pushing beyond the first couple of “I think it's fine” responses.
      Our briefs summarize the top stories of the day for more than 3.4 million subscribers across dozens of topic areas, and our copy editors read for content, clarity, AP style and grammar while working under tight deadlines. The pace is comparable to that of a midsize metro newspaper copy desk, and with briefs going out all day, the deadlines have some similarities to wire service operations.
      Our copy editors work Monday through Friday. We are looking for someone to work at our offices in Washington, D.C. Selected applicants will be required to take a timed editing test.
      Required skills & experience:
      · At least three years of experience as a journalist, including demonstrated copy-editing experience. Slot experience at a daily newspaper is preferred.
      · Strong knowledge of AP style.
      · Ability to edit quickly and accurately on deadline.
      · Facility for using online publishing and communication tools.
      · Ability to work independently.
      · Strong interpersonal and communications skills.

      About SmartBrief
      Founded in 1999, SmartBrief is the leader in customized e-mail news services and reaches top-flight executives in a variety of markets, including advertising, aviation, finance, retail, hospitality, telecom, transportation, health care and consumer packaged goods.
      We're expanding rapidly and looking for exceptional, motivated individuals to join our team. At SmartBrief, employees enjoy an entrepreneurial work environment with accelerated advancement opportunities. We offer a competitive salary along with outstanding benefits, including stock options, 401(k) and 100% company-paid health care.
      SmartBrief is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.

      Please e-mail resumes to jobs@.... Place the following in the subject line: SmartBrief Copy Editor