Web copy editor, Gannett Government Media, Springfield, Va.

  • acesjobseditor
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 29, 2011
      Gannett Government Media, formerly Army Times Publishing Co., has an opening for a copy editor to help us edit and present our websites in as informative and engaging a manner as possible. After a couple of months of rotating through other shifts to become familiar with the newsroom, this person generally will work from 5 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday through Friday.

      Everyone on our Web and copy desks came from general-circulation daily newspapers, and most of us started without a particular knowledge of the military or the inner workings of government -- so at the outset, your knowledge in these areas need be only that of a well-informed journalist.

      Your first couple of months will be spent becoming acclimated with our system and our topics. Our Web desk is an integral part of our newsroom and has the full support and help of all of our departments. You'll have an excellent opportunity to exercise your devotion to the printed word, and maintain Web skills at the same time. This is a collaborative and friendly newsroom.

      You should be able to write clear, SEO-driven headlines and polish copy, and have good news judgment -- but the ideal candidate will have some technical Web skills as well. You must be reliable, and be a quick thinker yet be readily accepting of others' good ideas. You'll be an experienced copy editor not afraid of working within, and navigating throughout, a digital interface for posting content directly to the Web, with a thirst to learn everything you can to make yourself a self-sufficient Web editor. Familiarity with HTML, CSS and Photoshop is a plus.

      The papers' total print circulation is 250,000. We are based in Springfield, Va., just inside the beltway. Although we cover the military, we're independent from it. Our readers are mostly soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines. We serve them as a daily newspaper serves its community -- the readers come first -- but you can work here and still have a personal life.

      The successful applicant will have two or three years of experience in general-circulation daily newspapers and be an efficient manager of time, and, most important, an intelligent, fun-loving person who works well on a team. We are an equal-opportunity employer.

      Please contact:

      Linda Monroe managing editor/operations Gannett Government Media Corp. 6883 Commercial Drive Springfield, VA 22159 E-mail: lmonroe@...