Full-time copy editor, California Watch

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2011
      California Watch, the state's largest investigative reporting team, has an opening for a full-time copy editor – someone unafraid to poke holes in stories produced by a prestigious group of award-winning journalists. We are looking for a detail-oriented editor with a solid track record who can serve as a trusted, reliable gatekeeper. We need a master of precision, style, spelling, grammar and punctuation. We want someone who brings a skeptical eye and prosecutorial approach to the careful, meticulous review of copy – whether it's a 300-word daily news post or a 3,000-word investigation. We want an individual who takes pride in peeling back the layers of a story and questioning the foundation upon which our stories are built. And we want someone who is a strong team player with outstanding communication skills. The right candidate for this job will work closely with our reporters, editors and multimedia producers to craft better prose, write crisp headlines and review our databases, interactive features and video files. We want someone who will assume nothing and save our butts when we need saving – but won't mess with copy just for the fun of it. The person in this job will have to be an expert juggler and communicator. California Watch is a fast-growing newsroom founded by the nonprofit Center for Investigative Reporting, the nation's oldest independent investigative news center. We have offices in the Bay Area and in Sacramento but have the flexibility of hiring a copy editor who can work from home. If you think you've got what it takes, please send a resume, cover letter and up to five editing samples to Editorial Director Mark Katches. The deadline to apply for this position is Feb. 1, 2011.

      Mark Katches
      Editorial Director
      California Watch
      510-809-3174