Copy editor, Gannett Government Media, Springfield, Va.

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2010
      Gannett Government Media, formerly Army Times Publishing Co., has an immediate opening for a full-time copy editor to help our 20-person desk edit and design four newsweeklies -- Army Times, Air Force Times, Navy Times and Marine Corps Times -- and their Web sites.

      Everyone on this desk came from general-circulation daily newspapers, and most of us started without a particular knowledge of the military -- so at the outset, your knowledge of the military need be only that of a well-informed journalist. Unlike at many newspapers, our copy desk plays a significant role in our Web presentations -- so there's vast opportunity to exercise your devotion to the printed word, and acquire or maintain your Web skills at the same time.

      The papers' total circulation is 250,000. We arere based in Springfield, Va., just inside the beltway. Although we cover the military, we are independent from it. Our readers are mostly soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines. We serve them as a daily newspaper serves its community -- the readers come first -- but you can work here and still have a personal life. We do most of our work during the daytime, Monday through Friday -- and most of our employees normally work four-day weeks.

      The successful applicant will be a strong copy editor and headline writer with at least two years of experience in general-circulation daily newspapers; an efficient manager of time; and, most important, an intelligent, fun-loving person who works well on a team. Quark experience is a plus. Recent college grads with daily-newspaper internships and newspaper-journalism or interactive-journalism degrees also will be considered. The position is part of a highly collaborative copy-desk team and newsroom where brainstorming and speed are valued. We are an equal-opportunity employer.

      Please contact:
      Linda Monroe
      managing editor/operations
      Army Times Publishing Co.
      6883 Commercial Drive
      Springfield, VA 22159
      lmonroe@...
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2012
        Gannett Government Media has an immediate opening for a full-time copy editor.

        We're looking for a superlative copy editor to craft headlines, ensure accuracy and enforce style for our six newsweeklies, four magazines and 11 websites.

        The ideal candidate has sound news judgment and a passion for sweating the details. Responsibilities include editing stories and proofing pages; writing headlines, captions and other amplifying text; designing pages; posting to websites and blogs; and reviewing all platforms for libelous content.

        Applicants should have at least two years of experience as a copy editor or reporter, preferably for a daily newspaper. Pagination experience with QuarkXPress or Adobe InDesign is preferred.

        A bachelor's degree or equivalent experience is required, and familiarity with The Associated Press stylebook is a must.

        Please send resume to:
        Gannett Government Media
        Attn: Recruiter
        6883 Commercial Drive
        Springfield, VA 22159
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 29, 2012
          Gannett Government Media has an immediate opening for a full-time copy editor.

          We're looking for a superlative copy editor to craft headlines, ensure accuracy and enforce style for our six newsweeklies, four magazines and 11 websites.

          The ideal candidate has sound news judgment and a passion for sweating the details. Responsibilities include editing stories and proofing pages; writing headlines, captions and other amplifying text; designing pages; posting to websites and blogs; and reviewing all platforms for libelous content.

          Applicants should have at least two years of experience as a copy editor or reporter, preferably for a daily newspaper. Pagination experience with QuarkXPress or Adobe InDesign is preferred.

          A bachelor's degree or equivalent experience is required, and familiarity with The Associated Press stylebook is a must.

          Please send resume to resumes@... or:
          Gannett Government Media
          Attn: Recruiter
          6883 Commercial Drive