Copy editor, Outside Magazine/Mariah Media, Santa Fe, N.M.

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 22, 2010
      JOB: COPY EDITOR
      PUBLICATION: OUTSIDE MAGAZINE/MARIAH MEDIA
      INDUSTRY: MAGAZINE PUBLISHING
      SALARY: COMPETITIVE AND DEPENDS ON EXPERIENCE
      BENEFITS: HEALTH
      JOB DURATION: FULL TIME
      JOB LOCATION: SANTA FE, NEW MEXICO
      EXPERIENCE LEVEL: 2 YEARS

      JOB REQUIREMENTS:

      Must have at least two years' experience in a deadline-driven publishing environment (national magazine preferred), handling copyediting, line-editing, and proofreading. Experience with Quark Publishing System and Adobe InDesign is a plus. Knowledge of the outdoor industry is a plus. Most important is the ability to coordinate incoming page proofs from several editors, working closely with fact checkers, and to cleanly process and check all changes, managing and providing final sign-off for the entire issue. Job includes some auxiliary copyediting for online and other Mariah Media projects. This person might contribute some writing and editing to the magazine as well.

      FURTHER REQUIREMENTS:

      * Bachelor's degree in journalism, English or related field

      * 2 years of relevant copy editing experience

      * Ability to multi-task, work quickly and accurately

      * Must be able to work efficiently independently, but must also work well with others and enjoy being part of a team

      * Working knowledge of AP style

      * Open to learning new software

      JOB CONTACT: Email cover letter and résumé to Deputy Editor Mary Turner at mturner@...

      ABOUT OUR COMPANY:

      Outside is independently owned by Mariah Media. The magazine covers adventure sports, travel, fitness, health, nutrition, gear, science, and the environment. Our 690,000 readers are sophisticated, athletically inclined people who seek bigger lives by exploring the natural world and the frontiers of adventure. Every month, through well-crafted writing, reporting, service journalism, photography, and design, we inspire these readers and provide them with the tools they need to fulfill their dreams. We have won numerous National Magazine Awards and other publishing accolades. Mariah Media also consists of outsideonline and Outside Television.