Hart Energy Consulting, a division of Hart Energy Publishing, LP, one of the world's largest energy industry publishers with a diverse array of informational products for the worldwide energy industry, has an opening for an associate editor.
The ideal candidate will have at least three years of copy-editing experience. The position requires the editing of reports in MS Word and news/reports in an online content management system (CMS) to ensure there are no misspellings, syntax and punctuation are correct, style guide requirements are adhered to and that style is consistent throughout the document. Formatting of reports in both MS Word and CMS also required.
As these reports cover technical oil and gas topics, the position requires a person who has experience copy-editing material without changing the inherent meaning. Editorial decisions are made to polish the material for clarity and ensuring that the material adheres to the company's style guide, which is more specific than AP.
Reports can range from under 20 pages to more than 600 pages and include numerous charts and graphs, which also need to be formatted for consistency.
These reports are written by non-native English-speaking researchers, and while they are well-educated and experts in their fields, their English may need polishing to conform to American English standards. The copy editor should be able to sufficiently correct language while not changing the meaning of the content, and if asked, should be able to explain the reasons for any edits made.
Writing of press releases and news alerts is also required, but is not the main focus of the job.
From the Houston office, the editor works with researchers based locally and with researchers around the world via e-mail, based in Brussels, Singapore, Sao Paulo, Bismarck, N. Dakota; Washington, D.C.; and Bangkok.
* Bachelor's degree in journalism, English or related field
* 3-5 years of relevant job-related experience, including copy writing
* Knowledge of the oil/gas/energy industries a plus
* Ability to multi-task, work quickly and accurately
* Must be able to work efficiently independently, but must also work well with others and enjoy being part of a team
* Proficiency with Microsoft Office (extensive knowledge of MS Word) and Internet applications required
* Familiarity with online content management systems (CMS) and/or HTML a plus
* Working knowledge of AP style
* Open to learning new software, including use of Bloomberg terminal
* Ability to effectively fact-check and research using the Web
PLEASE SUBMIT RESUMES TO: hr@...
with Associate Editor in the subject line.
About Hart Energy Publishing:
Headquartered in Houston, with offices in New York, London, Washington, Brussels and Singapore, Hart Energy Publishing's market-leading publications include Oil and Gas Investor, E&P, FUEL, PipeLine & Gas Technology as well as a suite of seven downstream newsletters. Hart also produces other newsletters, custom publishing products, conferences and unique multi-and single-client consulting services.