Company: Catholic Relief Services
Position: Copy Editor
Apply to www.crs.org/about/careers
The Copy Editor serves as an advisor on editorial matters across the Agency. S/he is the primary line editor and gatekeeper for the Charitable Giving & Awareness Division's editorial process. In conjunction with the Senior Editor and the division's editorial staff, produces quality, on-point information about CRS' work and mission to approximately 500,000 (in print and online) CRS supporters in the United States monthly. Manages flow of editorial process, substantively edits, proofreads, checks facts, and organizes print and electronic communications projects for timely dissemination. S/he will use editorial skill, judgment and knowledge of agency values and mission to ensure accurate and compelling content, and consistent use of grammar, style and voice in keeping with best practices and the CRS editorial calendar and guidelines.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
1. Act as gatekeeper and manage the flow of editorial review processes for a variety of publications and media for Charitable Giving & Awareness division.
2. Manage and edit written content for more than 50 print publications per year (including donor magazines, annual report, newsletters, brochures, multimedia, and special publications) and hundreds of feature stories and pages for CRS' website, ensuring accuracy, appropriate and consistent message, and search engine optimization.
3. Research, write, edit, proofread and check facts for communications materials for the division.
4. Regularly evaluate and update CRS Style Guide and boilerplate materials, and assist with managing CRS Editorial Calendar.
5. Advise on editorial processes and best practices across agency.
6. Collect, edit, update, maintain and track human interest stories for use across agency.
7. Manage web-based internal communications vehicles to facilitate information sharing and project management among agency communicators.
8. Collaborate with professionals across a multitude of disciplines that include: direct response and major gift fundraising; journalism; photography; video production; print design; web design, production and analytics; humanitarian relief and development, Catholic outreach
9. Attend meetings, hold informational sessions and work collaboratively with Charitable Giving & Awareness, U.S. Operations, Overseas Support Department, Country Reps, Program Quality and Support
Supervisory Responsibilities: N/A
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Charitable Giving & Awareness, U.S. Operations, Overseas Support Department, Program Quality and Support
External: Vendors and Consultants as needed
1. Adapts to all varieties of communication, from print to web, news to features, blogs to annual reports, magazines to multimedia, essays to captions
2. Outstanding project management skills with ability to juggle multiple priorities and meet short- and long-term deadlines without sacrificing quality
3. Outstanding written and oral communication skills, including public speaking
4. Highly organized with compulsive attention to detail
5. Collaborative problem solving and strong work ethic
6. Ability to make careful decisions that involve others
7. Great interpersonal and negotiation skills
8. Curiosity, humor, high energy level
9. Team player who can work independently
10. Ability to work on multiple, complex projects with a diverse team of colleagues
11. Good understanding of world events, humanitarian relief and development practices
12. General understanding and knowledge of the Catholic Church
13. Working knowledge of private-sector fundraising, a plus
1. Bachelor's degree in journalism, English. Communications, international relations or related field, required.
2. Minimum three years of experience writing, editing and managing high-quality written communication projects for general and specialty audiences
3. Proven fastidious research, writing and editing skills
4. Excellent judgment, independent decision-making and organizational skills
5. Thorough understanding of editing demands, including track record of successful collaborations with writers, editors, print and web designers, video producers
6. Proven expertise in editorial best practices for print and web communications
7. Working knowledge of standard style guides (AP, NYT, etc)
8. Experience with technical and/or complex editorial content
9. Working knowledge of world geography and demographics
10. Working knowledge of design principles for print, web and infographics
11. Proficient in software packages, including: MS Word (including all editing functions), Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe, project management tools
12. Excellent grasp of SEO (search engine optimization) and search marketing
13. Knowledge of HTML and familiarity with content management/development programs (such as Wordpress and Drupal) a plus
14. Spanish language editing experience, a plus
To apply, visit www.crs.org/about/careers
ALL INTERESTED APPLICANTS MUST BE LEGALLY AUTHORIZED TO WORK IN THE U.S. AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION.