Designer/copy editor, NRV bureau of The Roanoke Times, Christiansburg, Va.

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2010
      The Roanoke Times seeks an innovative and creative editor to copy edit and design its NRV Current, a six-day-a-week New River Valley community news section that is inserted into The Roanoke Times.

      The ideal candidate can: manage her/his time well, shuffling from copy-editing one story on deadline to designing an advance section; communicate well within our newsroom (with reporters, photographers and editors), as well as the advertising department and press room; and operate in a consistently changing environment. The person in this position will need to become proficient in our print publishing system as well as our online content management system and how the two work together.

      The New River Valley lies in the heart of Southwest Virginia -- showcasing two major universities (Virginia Tech and Radford), an outdoors-focused community that loves hiking and biking along the New River, the Appalachian Trail and the Blue Ridge Parkway, and quirky communities where every personality has a unique story to tell.

      Essential duties and responsibilities:

      --Conceptualize and design pages on tight deadlines.
      --Edit copy and write headlines.in accordance with AP style, the stylebook of The Roanoke Times, and Webster's New World Fourth Edition. (An editing test will be required.)
      --Collaborate with photographers, artists and team leaders to develop and design elements that help tell the story.
      --Troubleshoot and output pages from our DTI publishing system
      --Work on advance pages and special projects as needed
      --Update newrivervalley.com on two fronts (as needed and assigned): when news breaks/stories develop and on an as-needed basis on section indexes and other pages.
      --Deliver news, information and stories via Twitter, Facebook, blogs, e-mail updates, text message and any other platform we employ in the future.
      --Stay current on our coverage, that of the competition, and the big headlines from national and international news.

      Skills and qualifications:

      --Proven ability to write clearly, tightly and accurately – for headlines, tweets, text messages, cutlines, updates, briefs and more.
      --Basic knowledge of graphic design, specifically the integration of type, color and graphics.
      --Proven ability to collaborate with copy editors, photographers, graphic artists and reporters.
      --Experience working under pressure; showing good decision-making.
      --Commitment to integrating the newspaper with online and other emerging technologies.
      --Ability to communicate community news to our readers through blogs and other social media outlets (Facebook, Twitter, etc.).
      --Commitment to strong hyperlocal news (community events, reader-submitted news and photos, etc.).
      --Ability to develop long-term and short-term projects, and to balance the work on those projects with daily duties .
      --Ability to embrace and manage change
      --Ability to build relationships across the newsroom
      --Strong grasp of technology and the ability to troubleshoot and solve technical problems.
      --InDesign, Photoshop experience preferred.
      --Daily newspaper experience preferred.
      --Bachelor's degree required

      All applicants must also apply online at: jobs.roanoke.com. In addition, please e-mail a letter of interest and samples of your work to NRV Bureau Chief Chris Winston at chris.winston@.... Application deadline: Monday, Oct. 11.

      PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE
      OR CONTACT ACES WITH YOUR APPLICATION
      OR WITH QUESTIONS FOR A PARTICULAR
      JOB POSTING -- INSTEAD, YOU SHOULD