Part-time copy editor; Army Times; Washington, D.C., area

  • acesjobseditor
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2010
      Army Times Publishing Co. has an opening for a part-time copy editor to join its staff of 20 people who copy edit, design and do Web work for four military newsweeklies -- Army Times, Air Force Times, Navy Times and Marine Corps Times. The papers' total circulation is 250,000.

      We're a Gannett company based in Springfield, Va., southwest of D.C. and just inside the beltway. Our readers are mostly soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines. We serve them as a daily newspaper serves its community -- the readers come first -- but the hours are mostly day hours, and we have fun here.

      Since this opening is part time, only applicants from the Washington, D.C., area need apply. We've had part-time copy editors who've worked here for years, but this position is a great opportunity to get your foot in the door if you'd like to work here full time eventually. We work day hours Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday, and from 10 a.m. to about 10 p.m. Thursdays. Average hours for this position will be 10 to 15 a week, but can be more sometimes depending on our workload and your availability. We'll work out a schedule to your advantage as well as to ours. Our busiest days are Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, so you'll usually be working then.

      The job requires prior experience editing for a daily newspaper, a journalism degree with an emphasis in print news, or both. We're looking for an intelligent, fun-loving person who works well on a team. The position is part of a highly collaborative copy-desk team and newsroom where brainstorming and speed are valued. We're an equal-opportunity employer.

      Please contact:
      Linda Monroe, managing editor/operations
      Army Times Publishing Co.
      6883 Commercial Drive, Springfield, VA 22159
      lmonroe@...

      PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE OR CONTACT ACES WITH YOUR APPLICATION OR WITH QUESTIONS FOR A PARTICULAR JOB POSTING -- INSTEAD, YOU SHOULD CONTACT THE COMPANY DIRECTLY.