Page one copy editor, The Arizona Republic, Phoenix
- The Arizona Republic is adding a copy editor to its page one editing team. This team is responsible for making sure the front page meets our high standards for writing, design, story mix, accuracy, fairness, timeliness and promotion every day. The copy editor will be heavily involved in working on front-page stories, weekend stories and long-term projects. As part of the A1 team, this editor will enforce our standards for quality, ensuring that only the best content appears on the page.
This editor will work with the page one editors and designers, the news copy desk and other editors and reporters to produce a compelling and engaging front page each day.
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Writing promotional story summaries for stories in other sections featured on the front page each day. Story refs and promos should be compelling and should aid in navigation.
- Participating in a nightly meeting to discuss, write and improve headlines for all front page stories. Headlines must be fair and accurate but also engaging and bold, and should help us highlight key coverage areas.
- Performing intensive copy editing on some daily stories and all weekend stories for the front page. This involves reading for Republic style, grammar, clarity, accuracy, fairness and thoroughness.
- Identifying unanswered questions, logical lapses and other holes in stories. This editor must resolve those problems, either independently or in conjunction with the front-page editors.
The copy editor will sometimes do intensely collaborative work, but must also be self-directed each day, identifying necessary tasks and completing them before daily deadlines.
This editor's stories will cover a broad range of topics, from watchdog journalism to narrative storytelling to cutting-edge visual journalism. The ideal candidate will be motivated by the promise of all these forms of journalism, and be conversant in all of them.
The page one copy editor reports to the page one editor and will work closely with the assistant editors and the First Amendment Center director.
Those interested should submit a resume and cover letter to Keira Nothaft, First Amendment Center director, at keira.nothaft@....
PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS
MESSAGE OR CONTACT ACES WITH
YOUR APPLICATION OR WITH QUESTIONS
FOR A PARTICULAR JOB POSTING --
INSTEAD, YOU SHOULD CONTACT THE