Web editor, Washington, D.C. area

  • Daniel
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 20, 2010
      Army Times Publishing Co., a Gannett company, has an opening for a copy editor to help us edit and present our Web sites in as informative and engaging a manner as possible. Everyone on our Web and copy desks came from general-circulation daily newspapers, and most of us started without a particular knowledge of the military -- so at the outset, your knowledge of the military need be only that of a well-informed journalist. Our Web desk is an integral part of our newsroom and has the full support of all of our departments. Armytimes.com won first-place Online News Association awards for 2007 (general excellence/small site) and 2008 (specialty journalism/large site). You'll have an excellent opportunity to exercise your devotion to the printed word, and maintain or acquire Web skills at the same time. This is a collaborative and friendly newsroom.

      You should be able to write clear headlines and polish copy, and have good news judgment -- but the ideal candidate will have at least some technical Web skills as well. You must be reliable, and be a quick thinker yet be readily accepting of others' good ideas. You'll be an experienced copy editor not afraid of working within, and navigating throughout, a digital interface for posting content directly to the Web, with a thirst to learn everything you can to make yourself a self-sufficient Web editor. Familiarity with HTML, CSS and Photoshop is a plus.

      The papers' total circulation is 250,000. We are based in Springfield, Va., just inside the beltway. Although we cover the military, we're independent from it. Our readers are mostly soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines. We serve them as a daily newspaper serves its community -- the readers come first -- but you can work here and still have a personal life. The Web editors work a rotating schedule -- some days, some nights, some weekends -- but the rotations are known well in advance. The successful applicant will be a strong copy editor and headline writer with two or three years of experience in general-circulation daily newspapers; an efficient manager of time; and, most important, an intelligent, fun-loving person who works well on a team. We are an equal-opportunity employer.

      Please contact:
      Linda Monroe
      managing editor/operations
      Army Times Publishing Co.