Night editor/copy editor, The Times, Gainesville, Ga.

  • Daniel
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2010
      The Times in Gainesville, Ga., is looking for an experienced copy editor who can straddle the worlds of editing reporters' copy and designing news pages.

      We are looking for someone who can perform regular copy desk duties – pulling wire stories, catching AP style errors in local copy and putting together pages in InDesign, for example – while also serving as our night news editor a few nights a week. This means reading late stories, helping the metro editor update the budget and occasionally assign stories.

      The ideal candidate will have experience writing headlines and editing copy in accordance with AP style, with a passion for accuracy. We are looking for someone who can lead our copy desk and isn't afraid to make quick decisions on deadline.

      This position requires nights on a Sunday through Thursday schedule. Applicants without prior newspaper experience will not be considered.

      We offer paid vacation, benefits and 401K profit sharing. The Times, a seven-day daily with a circulation of 24,000, is a 2009 Georgia Press Association General Excellence Award winner. We are located in fast-growing Hall County one hour north of Atlanta on Lake Lanier. Send cover letter, resume, editing samples and three references to:

      Kristen Morales, senior design editor
      kmorales@...
      or
      P.O. Box 838