3412copy desk chief

  • markallence
    Jul 20, 2014

      The Courier and Daily Comet in Houma and Thibodaux, La., award-winning newspapers in the bayou country of south Louisiana, are seeking a copy editor.

      You’ll work with other page designers to produce all pages for the two newspapers. The copy desk also posts content to our websites, houmatoday.com and dailycomet.com, and engages in social media and other digital journalism.

      We’re looking for someone with a flair for page design who can edit stories meticulously and write strong headlines under deadline pressure. We’re looking for someone who understands what good writing and photography are all about and can turn both into strong page layouts and help others do the same. And we’re looking for someone with strong organizational skills who can manage our workflow and pageflow smoothly and efficiently.

      This job requires someone with a strong nose for news and the ability to foster the teamwork it takes to produce high-quality journalism consistently and quickly. The ideal candidate will think critically, manage multiple assignments well and consider no project too big or small. To succeed, you’ll need to embrace change and help our team of journalists adapt to ever-changing reader demands, both in digital and print.

      Mastery of the English language, including spelling and grammar, along with AP style are a given. Dexterity with common word and photo-processing systems and software, including Photoshop and Microsoft Word, are essential, along with a mastery of common layout and design systems such as InDesign and Quark. A four-year college degree is required. Previous experience at a daily newspaper or other professional news organization, or a college newspaper, is preferred.

      The Courier and Daily Comet, with a combined daily circulation of about 23,000, consistently earn major journalism awards. The Courier has been named Louisiana Press Association Newspaper of the Year for most of the past decade. Both newspapers received the title in their respective circulation divisions this year. Live and work a unique, fun and colorful community with Cajun roots, lots of festivals and some of the best freshwater and saltwater fishing in the world. An hour’s drive will take you to New Orleans and all of the pro sports, fantastic food and world-class entertainment for which the city is famous.

      Both papers are owned by the Halifax Media Group, a Daytona Beach, Fla.,-based company strongly committed to community journalism.

      To apply, send your resume, along with at least five writing or page-design samples, e-mail to Karen.dauzat@.... mail to Karen Dauzat, P. O. Box 2717, Houma, La. 70361 or go on line at houmatoday.com and click on Work for Us.

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic