3377Wanted: Freelance, part-time copy editor for business articles (telecommute)

  • ACESJOBS-owner@yahoogroups.com
    Jan 30, 2014

      CompanyNewsletters.com, a growing Internet company, is looking for an experienced copy editor who wants to work from home. These freelance, part-time assignments involve us e-mailing (in MS Word format) newsletter articles to you. These are business articles written by our clients, who are typically non-professional writers. You would provide extremely thorough but light editing: correcting grammar, punctuation, spelling and run-on sentences; improving clarity; etc. Then you’d e-mail the edited articles back to us, usually by the next business day.

      Assignments are part-time and sporadic. We may have many assignments for you one week, and none for the next several weeks.

      Candidates must be readily available for assignments on short notice and be able to complete typical two-hour editing projects in one business day, and longer assignments in two business days. Also, candidates must be consistently available to take on these assignments. So if you’re unavailable to take on assignments for a total of more than three weeks out of the year, you would not be a good match for us. Also, it is a plus if you are available by phone and e-mail during business hours.

      Freelancers must have at least three years of newspaper, book or magazine copy-editing experience, and be very familiar with AP Style. A journalism or English degree is preferred. You must have a great command of English and grammar; the ability to turn articles written by non-professionals into easy-to-understand, mistake-free prose; and a general understanding of business terms and concepts.

      You must also use a recent version of MS Word, so we can use the “track changes” option to monitor your revisions.

      Please do not apply for this position unless you meet ALL of the above requirements. If you do meet all of the requirements, please download and complete our brief editing test, which can be found at http://www.companynewsletters.com/copyeditortest.doc. Then e-mail the completed test back to us at editor@..., along with your resume and your minimum hourly pay requirement. Only those who list an actual minimum pay requirement will be considered … please do not list it as “open.”

      No calls, please. Thanks for your interest in this position.