3358VA Consulting

    Oct 19, 2013

      VA Consulting is the leading firm in the Intermountain West specializing in community and social change work. We help our clients become more successful, sustainable and scalable through: community needs assessments; business and strategic planning; development of social enterprises; fund development; proposal writing; training and consulting services; capacity building initiatives; and research and program evaluation.

      We are looking for an awesome and experienced copy editor to copy edit, proofread and format grant proposals, strategic planning documents, evaluation reports, newsletters, articles for publication and other documents for our clients (and for us!)

      Talents Sought

      • Very strong attention to detail
      • Excellent verbal and written communication skills
      • Expert knowledge of grammar, spelling, punctuation and style guides (e.g., APA)

      Ability to:

      • Read and copy edit written documents to improve organization, sentence structure and overall readability
      • Proofread documents for spelling, punctuation, grammar and sentence structure
      • Format and improve the look of documents
      • Learn JVA’s style guide (similar in many ways to APA) and ensure that all documents follow this formatting
      • Review and edit to ensure consistency throughout long documents
      • Shorten sentences and paragraphs
      • Cut 4–5 pages from a 20 page document on short notice
      • Work both quickly and accurately
      • Make suggestions to writers with tact and grace
      • Work under tight deadlines and under pressure without getting rattled
      • Juggle multiple projects
      • Conduct proofreading and enter changes into documents electronically
      • Produce strong, error-free copy
      • Create tables of contents and indexes
      • Positive attitude
      • Good design sense (training and experience in graphic design a plus!)
      • Strong work ethic, willing to take initiative
      • Ability to coach writers
      • Must be able to work with minimal supervision
      • Sense of humor a huge plus!

      Skills/Experience Desired

      • A minimum of three years copyediting/proofreading experience in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment
      • Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism or equivalent preferred
      • Advanced proficiency in use of Microsoft Word, including styles and formatting
      • Familiarity with Associated Press, Chicago Style Guide, APA Manual
      • Experience with Mac Operating Systems (we are an all-Mac office)

      Location: Ideally, we would like our editor to work out of our Western Colorado office in Carbondale, Colorado, but we are open to other possibilities for the right person.

      Salary/Benefits: $40,000 with eligibility for business development incentives after completion of a three-month probationary period. Benefits for full-time staff members include health/life insurance, a cafeteria plan, three weeks of paid flex leave (four weeks after one year), paid holidays and a 401(k) plan with employer match after 1000 hours of employment.

      TO APPLY:

      Please email (NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE) the following to: jobs@...

      • A cover letter:
        • Telling us how you found out about the position
        • Stating why you are interested in this position, how you meet the qualifications/talents sought, and why you are passionate about social and community change work
        • Sharing a story that illustrates your willingness an ability to “go over the top” in meeting a deadline
      • Your resume
      • Two examples of documents you copy edited under a fast deadline
      • Names and contact information for three professional references

      Please place “COPY EDITOR” in the email subject line.

      Application end date: Applications will be reviewed as received; we are looking to hire as soon as possible.

      NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. WE WILL NOT REVIEW FAXED OR HAND-DELIVERED APPLICATIONS OR APPLICATIONS NOT SENT THROUGH EMAIL AT Jobs@...