3333Managing editor

    Jul 18, 2013
      Channing Bete Company is looking for a dynamic editor who will uphold our editorial standards while managing a group of in-house, per-diem, and freelance writers. Our editorial staff:composes reader-friendly text to convey key points quickly so readers can retain and act upon the information they learn generates and maintains content for existing formats while developing new and innovative print and electronic formats for our customers creates products focused on a variety of topics and targeted for specific audiences, and that follow rigorous editorial standards for style, accuracy, and readability.

      We're looking for someone who will be able to manage a department that creates new products in existing formats, conceptualizes products in innovative new formats, keeps a backlist of thousands of titles up-to-date, and creates content for custom products designed for individual customers.

      About the Company

      At Channing Bete Company, we have one mission: to strengthen individuals, families, and communities by reinforcing healthy behaviors and commitment to positive social values. We do this by:
      creating research-based, reliable publications in formats for readers of all ages, cultural backgrounds, and reading levels
      offering an extensive product line that is second to none in its breadth and depth
      backing everything up with superior customer services.

      This is why for over 50 years, healthcare organizations, schools, government agencies, nonprofit organizations, and businesses have come to us for solutions to their communication challenges.

      Our corporate offices are conveniently located in a state-of-the-art facility in South Deerfield, Massachusetts. Two hours west of Boston and three hours north of NYC, the Pioneer Valley and Five College Area offer the exceptional quality of life often associated with a rural location, yet the area provides easy access to excellent schools, culture, and recreation.

      Key responsibilities

      The position requires:
      the ability to understand the communication needs of multiple target reading audiences while also fulfilling the buyer's communication goals
      impeccable writing and editing skills that will help us maintain our industry-leading standards for readability
      creative flexibility to incorporate our content with fidelity into new products and new media
      supervisory skills that provide clear direction while encouraging creativity and fostering collaboration
      management skills that help the company plan, budget, organize and utilize resources effectively and efficiently.

      We require a minimum of a bachelor's degree in English or journalism. A master's degree is preferred. You'll need at least five years of editing and management experience. Experience editing concise text for specific targeted reading levels is a plus, as is experience editing content used by public health agencies, healthcare organizations, and/or schools. Proficiency with Publishing workflows, attention to detail, excellent communication skills, and analytical skills are also required.

      We offer a competitive starting salary and benefits that include health and dental plans, a 401(k) plan, employee stock ownership, and profit sharing. Limited relocation assistance may be available. To see a full list of benefits visit www.channing-bete.com and choose "Careers."

      To apply

      To apply, please send a cover letter, résumé, and a list of publications you've edited to editorialhire@..., or mail them to:

      Human Resources -- Box WWW
      Channing Bete Company
      One Community Place
      South Deerfield, MA 01373-7328

      An Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer