3240assistant editor, Virginia Pilot

    Nov 30, 2012
      Eager to help lead a team of award-winning reporters whose work grabbed national
      headlines when they uncovered that a government worker hadn't shown up to the
      office for 12 years but still collected a paycheck? Want to work with writers
      who weave fascinating tales, such as one about a former civil rights activist
      who fought for justice alongside the late Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr., but
      later became known for mishandling money at several churches? Looking for a
      media management job where reporters lead the front page with revelations such
      as one about a fire chief who resigned, then collected FMLA, and then returned
      to work in another nearly six-figure position - all under the radar of that
      city's elected officials?

      Then The Virginian-Pilot's got the job for you. Our Urban Team is looking for an
      assistant editor to help cover the cities of Norfolk and Portsmouth. We're
      looking for a newshound and watchdog with experience overseeing projects,
      enterprise and breaking news.

      Editing duties include working with eight reporters and a metro columnist. This
      editor must be able to guide our use of the Freedom of Information Act and
      database reporting and help find stories that surprise readers and move them to

      The ability to help reporters follow the money and develop sources from all
      walks of life, through social media and old-fashioned beat development, is a

      -- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
      -- Three (3) years of experience editing and supervising reporters at a daily
      -- Seven (7) years of overall daily newspaper experience.

      How to Apply:
      -- Go to www.thevirginianpilot.com and click on Careers.
      -- Closing date is flexible, but interested parties should apply ASAP.

      About Us:
      The Virginian-Pilot is a 150,000-circulation daily newspaper that primarily
      serves residents of southeastern Virginia, also known as Hampton Roads. Owned by
      privately-held Landmark Media Enterprises, The Pilot has won three Pulitzer
      Prizes. We're located in Norfolk, Va., on the Chesapeake Bay, about 25 minutes
      from the Atlantic Ocean. We've got mild winters, beautiful summers and terrific
      crab cakes. Visit us online at www.PilotOnline.com.