3207City Editor, Virginian-Pilot, Norfolk

    Sep 27, 2012
      Think there's not much news in suburbia? Think again.

      How about a $7 million jail expansion that can't permanently house prisoners?
      Police officers who say they can sniff out a car carrying marijuana while
      they're driving down the highway? A measure tucked deep in the budget to give
      the city manager a 21% raise while denying a 2% raise to teachers?

      The Virginian-Pilot's Suburban Team has broken these stories and many more.
      We're looking for an experienced editor who can help this energetic,
      enterprising group of reporters get even better. Someone who has an eye for the
      stories that matter the most, an ear for making the words sing, and the
      ingenuity to reach readers through a variety of platforms. We place special
      emphasis on watchdog reporting and compelling narrative.

      This editor will work with a team of eight reporters and two assistant editors
      to cover the cities of Chesapeake and Suffolk. The team contributes
      up-to-the-minute reporting to the web and daily paper, enterprise pieces that
      can lead the Sunday edition, and community news.

      Applicants should have a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or
      university and at least ten (10) years of professional journalism experience,
      including three (3) years in a supervisory role.

      To apply, click here:
      https://commsjobs.ats.hrsmart.com/cgi-bin/a/highlightjob.cgi?jobid=3170. Or go
      to www.thevirginianpilot.com/mediacompanies, click on Search for Jobs and enter
      job code 3170.

      The Virginian-Pilot is a 170,000-circulation daily newspaper that primarily
      serves residents of southeastern Virginia, also known as Hampton Roads. Owned by
      Landmark Media Enterprises, The Pilot has won three Pulitzer Prizes and been a
      finalist twice in the last five years.

      We're based in Norfolk, Va., on the Chesapeake Bay, about 25 minutes from the
      Atlantic Ocean. We've got mild winters, beautiful summers and terrific crab
      cakes. Visit us online at www.PilotOnline.com.

      Posted by:
      Denise Bridges
      Director of Newsroom Operations